request for reference data

All things specracer!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:29 pm
Good afternoon,

I am going to try a very un-racer like thing here in a moment, lets see how this goes. ;)

I don't race a SRF. I race a very similar car but with more power. I race generally in vintage racing and the car is a WSR. A WSR is a Toyota powered support class for IMSA back in the mid 90s.

The car should be faster than a SRF3 by some of the basic measures. Roughly the same body shape, 150#s heavier, about the same tires (staggered with the rears being 2" wider to balance the poor weight distribution), and with 25% more power and 10% more torque.

The thing is, I am not faster. (that was the un-racer like thing there) And actually by a large gap if the lap record for SRF3 as Sebring is accurately reported on the SCCA website.

One of the beauties of the massive fields in SRF is there is always someone to race with and learn from that is just a little faster than you. With the WSR I am not so lucky. Most of my competition has more power and less mid corner grip; they make their speed differently.

Since our cars are fairly similar I think I could learn a lot from comparing data from a fast SRF with my data. I have reviewed video and I have a pretty good idea of where to look next time out but data would help me a ton!

My track preference is Sebring.

I realize sharing data is another very un-racer like thing to do too.

Thanks in advance,

Miguel

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:25 pm
It's a very SRF-racer-like thing to share data with somebody that's slower than you :)
Sadly I'm not terribly fast and never been to Sebring so I'll let somebody else handle that.

Note you say the weight distribution in your WSR is not great, which will limit your ability to find good balance. What tires are you running? An SRF brakes at over 1.3G and corners over 1.5G (just grabbing numbers from a random race lap at COTA, YMMV)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:40 pm
Glad to hear it.

40/60 split or there abouts. Hoosiers R35 7" up front and 9" in the rear. With the wider tire at the rear the balance is restored. I generally match those cornering and braking Gs, and see higher.

My mid corner speed is down a bit. I worked on upping the mid corner speed but then my back to full throttle started suffering. This year I have been working on getting to throttle sooner and its cost me a little in mid corner speed.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:32 pm
I'm a "bit slow" at Sebring having a Renault-based "pseudo" Spec.

I'd be looking for some data as well and thank you for being upfront and "boldly asking." I've been working on engine upgrades, but race-craft can make some (big) differences.

Sebring is my "home track too Miguel. Will look you up at next opportunity. Which run groups are you in? I'm classed as SPU - frequently mixed in with the SRFs too. Good lessons to learn there.

Cheers - Jim
When I used to fly, I was called an AVIATOR.
Now, I race cars. So, am I called a PAVIATOR?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:04 pm
phantomjock wrote:I'm a "bit slow" at Sebring having a Renault-based "pseudo" Spec.

I'd be looking for some data as well and thank you for being upfront and "boldly asking." I've been working on engine upgrades, but race-craft can make some (big) differences.

Sebring is my "home track too Miguel. Will look you up at next opportunity. Which run groups are you in? I'm classed as SPU - frequently mixed in with the SRFs too. Good lessons to learn there.

Cheers - Jim

Hey Jim,

Two weeks ago was my fist time running with SCCA. Initially I ran in SPU as one of my buddies runs in SCCA often and that is his run group. I ended up getting booted to P2 though. I am looking forward to running in P2 as I will probably learn more from running with wings and things cars than civics in SPU. Hopefully they dont mind me running in their group too much, I probably look like a rolling chicane to them.

I am going to pop in at Homestead this weekend to watch a little are you racing?

Miguel
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:54 am
Still in "winter-build"mode. Planning on Sebring for the July and Aug meets. Jim
When I used to fly, I was called an AVIATOR.
Now, I race cars. So, am I called a PAVIATOR?

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:29 am
As far as track record at Sebring is concerned - the 2:22.065 listed (Brian Schofield) is correct. It was set in just about ideal circumstances (cool dry weather with a draft and a driver that is among the best anywhere but particularly at Sebring and Road America) at the Super Tour in January 2018. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about 2:22's though - I'd say a typical "good" lap at Sebring on the Long Course for an SRF3 is in the 2:24 to 2:25 range - maybe a bit slower than that during hotter parts of the year. For SRF - 2:31 or 2:32 is a really good lap again maybe a bit slower in the summer time.
Lee Hill
SEDiv SRF 72

Return to General Discussions