Sports Renault #423 Coming Back to Life

All things specracer!

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/turnrightracing
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:48 pm
phantomjock wrote:Scott -

As a non-spec, due diligence may have you doing some "other than" CSR shopping too. If the CSR can give you a good deal -- go for it, they support the fleet!

I saved about 200 bucks on my fuel cell. Remember, Summit Racing is our SCCA "sponsor" too.
When you do the fuel cell do get an internal pump, and fuel gauge if you can.

Belts - That is often a matter of many opinions. I like (and have installed) the TeamTech climbing harness-style sub strap, lumbar tie in and sternum strap. I went a bit extreme having had a head-on with an RX-7.

Similarly, I'm liking the wear characteristics of the Toyo R888s, and will move to the R888Rs when these go out - but that won't be until next season! (OK I give up 4 seconds a lap at Sebring, just for the tires, but there is that and some given up in HP too!)

Fire System - I'll go with a DIY refillable when I need a replacement.

You must be working indoors - lots of progress being made!

Cheers - Jim

Going with Hoosier Street TD's for tires as this is a popular tire in vintage. I haven't purchased the belts yet, but looking at the Sabelt S622 set-up. I haven't purchased the fuel cell yet and was talking with a fellow racer that had a used one, but I think I offered him too little for it. Anyway, I was advised to just buy a new one for the piece of mind that it is new. Trying to keep rolling on this so I am not behind schedule come the end of April when it needs to be ready for my wife to go thru drivers school.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:52 pm
For Fuel cell I might have a spare. I had Eagle River inspect two cells I sent them and refabbed one. They said they would hold onto the second, let me know and I can see if they still have it.

Good job on getting this project going, I am doing a Gen 2 build from the ground up myself, which reminds me I should post an update.
Chris B
Chicago Region
Flagging and Communications / Emergency Services

Good chance you have seen me waving flags like a crazy person at some point.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:20 pm
No real good updates. Bodywork in process, Waiting for the remaining suspension pieces to return from powder coating. Header has been ceramic coated. New fuel cell on order. Struggling to get the pistons out of the calipers since they sat for the last 30 years. May just have to get some new/used calipers.

The task list is suppose to get smaller, but seems to grow. One checklist item off the list is we were able to pick up a real nice enclosed trailer for her down in Omaha, NE.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:40 pm
On the piston, I assume that you can't get them out using brake pressure alone. If they're already disassembled from the car, you might consider soaking them in penetrating fluid for a time, then using air pressure through the bleeder to blow them out. Do so cautiously, as the last time I used that technique on a brake master cylinder (fortunately, pointing away from me) it ended up embedded in the garage wall (didn't make it through to the living room, fortunately!)
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Former Specracer National Champion
Former Specracer National Champion
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:41 pm
Wow, The photo reminds me of when there was actually room in the engine compartment, regular cleaning of the carburetor jets, 4-speed transmissions, starting them on a cold day without a choke and the fast guys just happening to throw a belt and whack the heads and then replacing them at the track.

If you really want to experience the god old days get your hands on a set of the original Goodyear street tires the class started on. How the heck we kept the cars on the road....

Have a ball. I'm jealous.

Jim

P.S. If you don't mind, how much did you pay for this time capsule?

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:24 pm
Wow! A true barn find type car! Our first car was #427 born just 4 cars after yours.

Pat

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:35 pm
Thanks everyone for the interest in the SR. I will continue to update on the progress. Not much here, but received the exhaust back from ceramic coating and most of the suspension parts are back from powder coating. Hope to start putting her back together next weekend.
Attachments
SRY.jpg
SRY.jpg (21.24 KiB) Viewed 13301 times
SRX.jpg
SRX.jpg (16.62 KiB) Viewed 13301 times

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:53 pm
Cool! Reminds me of the work done several years ago in a full frame-off rebuild of my chassis 425. Although it has been kept current all the way up to Gen3. I like to say it's doubled in value (you just have to ignore all the parts and work that has gone into it and it's been a great investment)!

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:19 am
pmiranda wrote:Cool! Reminds me of the work done several years ago in a full frame-off rebuild of my chassis 425. Although it has been kept current all the way up to Gen3. I like to say it's doubled in value (you just have to ignore all the parts and work that has gone into it and it's been a great investment)!

I am hoping it is a good investment. Looking at about $3500 in updates to get her track worthy and looking pretty decent. I am trying to do as much as my knowledge and mechanical base allows me to. Learning a lot as I go through it. We didn't necessarily have to do everything we decided to do, such as powder coating the suspension and misc. parts. The car was sitting in it's original condition after it finished racing in 1987. Tires, belts, fire system of course needed to be updated. The boss wasn't to keen on the paint so the decision was to have it painted and the front nose fixed. Thought about stripping her all the way down to the frame and having that coated as well. Just not enough time to do that this year as the head crew chief, my brother, has a fleet of Formula Fords to get ready for the 50th anniversary.

Initial purchase price a bit convoluted as it involved some trades. Felt good about it being an original owner car that was never bent or crashed. It has only two years of racing on it. Plan is to get her track worthy and reliable to run a few events with VSCDA here in the Midwest.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:18 pm
A little project today. QR steering hub and adapter plate complete.
Attachments
SW4.jpg
SW4.jpg (49.58 KiB) Viewed 13238 times
SW3.jpg
SW3.jpg (52.07 KiB) Viewed 13238 times
SW1.jpg
SW1.jpg (55.29 KiB) Viewed 13238 times
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions