Butlerbuilt Headrest with Fiberglass Seat.

All things specracer!

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:18 pm
My Butlerbuilt headrest arrived today with no instructions for mounting with the fiberglass seat. I called Butler but they were only familiar with mounting the headrest with the Butler seat in the car. There is a video online showing the same.
After removing the original headrest, I found that the Dzus fastener for the posterior pad on the Butlerbuilt hits the metal plate that the old headrest was mounted to causing the headrest to seat at an angle. Looks like I have two options:
1,) Cut the metal on the old plate on the car to allow room for the Dzus fastener and use the posterior rest that came with the Butlerbuilt, or:
2.) Adapt the old headrest and mount it to the Butlerbuilt unit. I like this idea better because the old headrest is bigger. Both are the same thickness
Anybody have any experience with this?.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:38 pm
I used my old headrest. Didn't like the Butler one.
Attachments
Butler Final Install Side.jpg
Butler Final Install Side.jpg (48.32 KiB) Viewed 6885 times

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:52 am
I'm not quite sure I understand the problem, but I was able to remove the old head pad and install the Butlerbuilt headrest with my fiberglass seat. It took a little patience and if I recall bending one of the side pods a little bit, but we made it work. Don't have access to the car right now but I can get you pics within a week if you need.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:36 pm
Thanks guys. I used the old headrest and it did take some patience. The unit was designed to work with the Butlerbuilt seat.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:18 pm
Stu,

I would recommend that you practice your "quick exit" now that you have this additional head restraint installed. It may change how you get out of the car. Don't find out for the first time when you are hosting an impromptu barbeque. ;)
Bill Engle Jr

Return to General Discussions