Funk, Scharf and Davies go Head to Head

All things specracer!
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:40 am
The sale of new cars is down due to the availability and reasonable cost of the used cars. When most people do their research they find out that you can buy a used spec racer for +-$18K, drive it for a few years, then sell it for +-$18K. This just makes sense. The new car buyers are the ones who want every thing to be perfect. They compare the cost of buying a used car, doing a ground up on it and sending off the motor to be freshened to the price of a new car. This buyer will generally get a new car instead of buying used.

15 more horse power and 50 lbs of weight reduction will make a significant increase in performance. It will further widen the gap between us and SM, which is our main competition for new racers. I am assuming it will be worth at least 2-3 seconds at most tracks. Like many other people in this class, I have raced faster cars and really enjoyed driving them, but it is the affordabilty and close racing that keeps me here.
John Greene
SeDiv #29

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:48 am
But the sale of a used car doesn't grow the class. It's one old driver being replaced with a new driver, same number of active drivers.
Bruce Funderburg
SEDiv SRF #4
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:10 am
If you replace an inactive driver with an active driver then you will grow the class. There have been over 800 cars produced, 80-90% of which are still running. Erik could come up with a magic formula to sell a bunch of new cars, but that formula would have to obsolete the current 600 plus cars. Erik's plan keeps our cars running and our resale values consistent. If you want to beat your buddy's vette on a track day, buy a Radical. If you want close racing for a reasonable cost, stay with spec racer.
John Greene
SeDiv #29
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:49 pm
John nailed it. We have OVER 400 inactive or lost cars, we are UNDER 400 active with almost 900 cars sold. There are plenty of unused cars to go around. You might have to search as inactive cars can be hard to pry from a garage, because they hold their value and GASP, might even appreciate.

On the HP, yes, maybe someone will not get all excited to race our cars on data alone, but they probably are not then looking for the most competitive class. As a minimum, if we went over 130'ish HP, we need a $750 upgrade for EACH corner of the car...that is $3000 minimum! (Brakes - which drive new wheels - take a look at what happens if you add outboard pistons to the calipers; major redo of several control arms and bits to handle the power and stopping forces) Throw in intrusion panels or frame upgrades to handle it and you have basically a new car....better to buy an ESR. No one is going to build a $29,000 kit with 150 HP, much less 200HP. I don't disagree the car community has gone HP crazy...so we have to be smart in what we share...lap times / $ ALWAYS make us the star!

I always enjoy Tray's data and I can get you all the used FE's you want for just over $30k right now. Grab a body kit and off you go too!
Erik
SCCA Enterprises
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:45 pm
I have no dog in the hunt about the SRF power other than I love the class. I used to race SR back in the day and my buddy just took delivery of a SRF that I hope to help shake down ;)

Regarding the Sportsracer Challenge for the Enterprise Sports Racer, it is my dream to provide a faster cost controlled sportsracing group. Sportsracer Challenge is intended to do that using the Enterprise Sports Racer version of the very successful Formula Enterprise car. The car is the same car that has been used at times in IMSA lites and is also legal in CSR. We will run a "race within a race" in the wings and things group but use a separate start.

Yes it is true that Funk, Sharf and Davies along with an old guy from Muleshoe Texas will be in the field at High Plains at the end of June. It will be the first of what is hoped to be several Sportsracer Challenge events. We will have our own podium, KC racing is providing hospitality, and some special prizes are being kicked in for the competitor raffle/give away/prize/bribe depending on how the organizer needs to use them ; )

Hope to talk to all the SRF drivers that are there that weekend. Please look us up at the KC Racing/Messenger Racing/Surface Exploration compound!

Jay Messenger
Muleshoe Texas USA
806-946-7252
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:26 pm
If you have a car that is in need of a pilot, I'm hoping to be there... just sayin'! :)
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:54 pm
Just sayin'

call me.................

JM
806-946-7252

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:00 am
Since someone already made the assumption that a new lighter engine would also reduce the weight limit by 40 pounds I shall begin my lobbying early. The last big weight discussion and voting to the comp board had something like 75% of the SRF drivers in favor of NOT raising the weight limits. Which meant that 25% of the drivers could not get close to minimum weight - which seems unfair in what is supposed to be a Spec class that is fair for everyone. And there are plenty of posts on how the Ford engine was under weighed when first brought out and how the weight limit got to current numbers - but things like mandatory foot pans, HANS devices, recommended fuel cell pans, etc have not been part of the formula for considering weight. So I trust that Mike D. & Erik will give all due consideration to making the next engine change more fair for a higher percentage of the drivers. If the engine savings is 50 pounds maybe they can only go down 20 pounds (or less). That would include about another 20% of the heavy drivers and then only about 5% would be %#@^ed in our spec class. Plus 15 HP and minus 20 pounds still makes a much quicker car. Personally I am happy with the current speed - I don't look forward to hitting things even faster than now. But I do love the idea of easier engine changes and maintenance. And if I live I plan to be at the 50th SR Reunion!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:17 pm
All we can say is our thoughts on being accomodating. Most cars in SCCA accomodate a 180 to 200 pound driver max...to get to minimum weight. I DO think the SRF must accomodate a higher number. Between 200 and 240 is where my mind is. We will see where the car comes out with the new installation. It won't be exactly one pound off to one pound down until we get to the driver weight we think is fairest.

I might be 175 now, but last time I raced a SRF I was 220 pounds and I dare anyone to say I was fat / overweight. We accomodate real people...and still want the ladies and race car driver size men to have a great home here too!
Erik
SCCA Enterprises

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:14 pm
Erik Skirmants wrote:...and still want the ladies and race car driver size men to have a great home here too!

Thank goodness, I should be timed by the time a possible weight adjustment comes about. (unless I'm allowed to tow a trailer full of weight plates)

H.(not a lady)B.
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions