Keep the SRF GEN 2 alive and supported.

All things specracer!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:29 pm
We all know that the plan was a three year phase out of the SRF GEN 2.

We all know that the SRF GEN 3 is brilliant and masterpiece of work by Mike Davies...Thank You!!!

BUT:

Gen 2 now has no problems finding engine parts.

There are scads of engines out there. I have a great one in my GEN 2 car, (came out of my GEN 3 conversion). I have two fresh rebuilds sitting in the crates plus one weak one with one cylinder down on compression.

There are still more GEN 2 entries than 2/3 of all other SCCA classes from what I observed. Look at the Indy numbers but also look at the nation wide regional and Major entry numbers.

While still a great racing deal, a new GEN 3 is too pricey for many people who would love to join our crazy SRF racing paradise.

3b.
The used GEN 2 has to be the best deal in racing. Period.

I think continued support by SCCA enterprises would be a very viable revenue stream for Enterprises without detracting from the GEN 3 program. I have heard at least two CSR's voice the preference to continue supporting GEN 2. The cars are still have lots of stuff in common and the CSR's know the Gen 2 inside out.

I my mind, (and I admit, I sometimes do live in a world of my own), I look upon the GEN 3 as formula ONE and the GEN 2 and GP2 (now Formula 2).

The SRF Enterprises "Ladder system". Get the drivers into the SRF community with GEN 2 and then they will "graduate" to the GEN 3. I see them as complimentary, not detracting from GEN 3

The mistakes of the Renault to Ford were not repeated. (Gen 2 still allowed) but I strongly doubt it will remain a "Spec" class for very long. I wonder how long it will be before a "non spec" GEN 2 goes sailing by a GEN 3.

8. I hope I haven't missed a thread and started to beat a dead horse. I've not been as active on SpecRacer.com as I have in the past. I hope it's not too late to un-ring the bell. To do so now will need a ground swell of support and some lateral thinking at Enterprises. But I have a very high regard for that team.

Respectfully submitted.

ActionJackson

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:26 am
I no longer have a gen2 but I agree that it is a viable class on its own. There's still a great deal of synergy with the gen3 on most parts but it has to make business sense for Enterprises to continue support. I can see that there will be some unique parts they just wouldn't want to deal with anymore. I would guess some CSR's could still make a business of it for their locals since they tend to keep spares of their own.
If SCCA doesn't keep it, somebody else will take those entries.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:23 am
Chris:

I agree...the decision to stop supporting Gen 2 and remove it as a National class was unfortunate. For many racers, going from a $15,000 entry point (probably less now) to a $35,000 entry point is the difference between racing and not racing. Sure, you can chug a Gen 2 around at Regionals with a mixed group of sedans, but that is not the point of the class. I'm sure it's too late to do anything about it, but for a club with constant decline in participation and true viability in only a couple of classes to take the third most populous class and kill it off seems like a poor choice.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:36 am
Doesn't it start by petitioning for a Regional class?

It would be kind of cool to use a G2 class as a test bed for future G3 bits like new bodywork and aero.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:28 pm
Except for a "rigid adherence" to SPEC, wouldn't running G2 in SPU be an easier path (bureaucratically)? In SEDiv [using the previous and upcoming Turkey Trot examples], Group 1 is; SRF, SRF3, SPU and others - ITB, STU, T3, T4, R1 and R4.

Makes for the opportunity for bodywork/aero/etc easy. It can be confusing though. Lat year they tried to marshal me (a G1 - SPU) in with the "herd" because I looked like I belonged! However, as I do some more aero, I'll look less like that and more like a Sports Racer ran into a SRF and got stuck!

All good fun!

Cheers - Jim
When I used to fly, I was called an AVIATOR.
Now, I race cars. So, am I called a PAVIATOR?
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:17 pm
Chris,

You are beating a dead horse.
Gen2/SRF is still out there and a very viable Regional Only class. See this Specracer thread from earlier this year: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2757

There was lots and lots and lots of discussion about the future of Gen2/SRF. This involved BoD, SCCA Enterprises, CRB, and CSRs, we looked at the original planning (which BTW said SRF would completely go away after the 3 year transition period!!!), car entries, SCCA Enterprises business planning, and finally landed on the Regional only status but allowing SRF to continue to enter Majors events badged as SRF3. What won't happen is a Gen2/SRF 2018 National Champion. 2017 was it.

From the 2015 GCR:
A. SRF3 DEFINITION
It is the intent of the GEN3 conversion to update the current 1.9L SRF
drivetrain for class longevity. SRF and SRF3 shall compete side by side,
for respective points and championships, until the start of the 2018 Competition
season, at which time SRF (1.9 powered cars) become part of
SRF3 as one class.

Gen2/SRF is still supported by Enterprises, and is *still* a spec class, it is a viable stepping stone for somebody to get into a $12-15K SRF and race for a while before upgrading to SRF3 (via conversion or buying).

For the record, I was involved in the SRF/SRF3 deal from the beginning initially as a BoD member when SRF3 was first proposed by Enterprises, involved in GCR rules modification to allow field testing/race entry of the test mules in 2014, approval of the original 3 year 2015-2017 transition period with sunset for SRF as a class, then later involvement as a CRB member in reaching the current Regional Only class resolution.

As McCoy would tell Kirk (looking at the horse): "He's dead Jim".
Todd Butler
OR/SFR Region
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:46 pm
If you are a Gen 2 driver I would highly recommend looking at the CenDiv regionals next year on top of any other event you choose. Here in Cendiv we always have SRF as its own run group so you don't have to worry about dealing with other types of cars, just good ole SRF crowd. We have people who are say they staying committed on the Gen 2 here.

The conversion to the Gen 3 has opened up an opportunity for myself. Thanks to some amazing individuals it looks like I am going to be attempting my crazy idea of "building," a Gen 2 car for myself. I am having an engine donated to me along with all gen 2 specific engine bits. I am going to be confirming soon but I am also being donated an old frame as well. I am calling this project Franken Car since it is going to be made up of parts from all over the spectrum I assume. I have little to no budget but I am going to see what I can do.

If many don't know I am a flagger / emergency services worker, I will also help fill any role that needs to be done for us to hold successful race weekends. Been doing that since I was allowed as a little one in Timing and scoring and could be set free among the paddock. My goal is to have a car I can learn with and enjoy and earn my comp license after all these years. I look back at how much money I spent to work races and maybe could have been paying for a car instead.

Look forward to hopefully joining a few of you on the track next year.....if this works :?
Chris B
Chicago Region
Flagging and Communications / Emergency Services

Good chance you have seen me waving flags like a crazy person at some point.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:47 pm
Chris ... Glad to see that this opportunity has opened up for you. As a former flagger myself, I know what it takes to donate to our obsession.

Next you will need to get lots of seat time, and learn how to repair fiberglass. Good luck with FrankenSpec
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:39 pm
Chris,
I'm not sure if this is a problem or not, but before I spent a bunch of money I'd make sure that whatever frame you use has a valid chassis number. You won't be able to get a logbook if you don't have one.

Chuck
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:24 am
It does, but thanks for the heads up. I look forward to any insight others are willing to share.

I hope we can get some of you Gen 2 drivers to come out and play with us in CenDiv. I also feel like the Gen 2 is a good car for enduro events since they seem pretty robust .
Chris B
Chicago Region
Flagging and Communications / Emergency Services

Good chance you have seen me waving flags like a crazy person at some point.

Return to General Discussions