SPEC RACER'S FUTURE

All things specracer!
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:03 am
Let's just not take our eye off the ball. Spec Racer ****'s longevity and success as a class has been not because it is the fastest or the sexiest new thing on a race track. It's appeal is not, never has been, and shouldn't be in the future, to those who get off on the 'idea' of race cars; it's to those who get off on the actual racing. Keep it simple, reliable, affordable, and above all, keep it equal. And never mind what the rest of the racing world is doing.

Road racing at the club level is a diminishing world. Enterprises goal with Spec Racer Whatever should be to be the last race car standing.

tony
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:14 am
Just purchased a SRF for the very reasons Tony mentioned plus a real Big One, the people!!! I am leaving behind a 600+HP Corvette. Just my thoughts. Thx Joel
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:11 pm
I agree with Tony's suggestion that we move to the SRW (Spec Racer Whatever) designation!

Steve
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:48 pm
Stan wrote:
Bob Devol wrote:For me, the idea of choking down to 120 HP what would otherwise be a 150-170 HP engine is very appealing from a durability standpoint.

"Choking down" a more powerful engine seems incompatible with it revving higher (per Erik's post above). Therefore, I presume Enterprises is looking at a new 1.5L (Fit?) or 1.6L (lots of choices), not a larger displacement engine. Less displacement revved higher means a bit more hoss-pressure at the big end, but less weight and torque to wear out parts at the low end. BTW, the Fit engine is tiny and light weight (about the size of a Kent), yet produces 135 hp without its inlet restrictor (capped at about 112 for FF).

I hope you embrace growth.

Sorry I am playing catch up...That is exactly what fits and what works best. 1.6L is the current primary target. The engine has to be the same or shorter in length than todays...bigger bores = not shorter! As for the growth comment...exactly...we MUST keep as many of you as possible; but MUST grow. Status quo will die in only a few years. You do not want to know the current active car count...

A few private notes have mentioned the lack of naming the engine. That is not free...if we end up buying engines at a great Jobber level discount...we will be "Spec Racer"...if we have a true marketing partner with hopefully subsidized products and contingencies (not the $8000 number but lower) we will be Spec Racer "$ your name here $".
Erik
SCCA Enterprises
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:09 pm
Stan wrote:BTW, the Fit engine is tiny and light weight (about the size of a Kent), yet produces 135 hp without its inlet restrictor (capped at about 112 for FF).
[/quote]

This is exactly what I was referring to -- restricting a more powerful engine.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:04 pm
Bob Devol wrote:This is exactly what I was referring to -- restricting a more powerful engine.

Sorry about any mixup...I didn't mean to put words in your mouth. Stan
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:21 pm
Stan wrote:
Bob Devol wrote:This is exactly what I was referring to -- restricting a more powerful engine.

Sorry about any mixup...I didn't mean to put words in your mouth. Stan

No worries, Stan. The way my freaking mouth runs off sometimes, I don't think I need any more extra words in there. ;)

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:06 pm
What Tony said!!!

As far as growths, if you're reading this, you are already here. Where are the new guys going to come from? Steve & I are planning on getting a friend to Driver's School next year. Everyone one of us Type A lunatics knows another Type A lunatic who is not racing. Could there be a better source of growth (or entertainment in the paddock)? Get them hooked up with a CSR and out on track. Maybe they just might stick around!

Joelle Pence

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:54 pm
steve kramer wrote:Discussion about >120HP is pointless, as the ensuing need to reinforce other parts of the car will make the conversion cost prohibitive.
And if you want a spec sports racer that has more power and speed, Enterprises already sells them: the ESR - 170HP, 1250#. For Enterprises to make a converted SRF closer to the ESR performance would hurt the ESR, a car that needs buyers and racers to reach critical mass. And Erik's suggestion to buy a used FE and a body kit, for maybe $40K, is right on - that is around the price of a new, assembled, painted new SRF today.

What hurts the ESR is:
A - it has no spec class
B - it costs $5K more than an FE, and is a bit slower
C - it uncompetitive in the only class its legal for (CSR)

If I had had the money for a NEW SRF, yes I would have gotten a used ESR (or more likely a FE) or a Radical/Regional DSR.
Bruce Funderburg
SEDiv SRF #4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:42 am
BFun wrote:C - it uncompetitive in the only class its legal for (CSR)

In light of the goings on over on the SR forum, this raises an interesting question -- is there any potential for growth in ESR's power? IOW, setting aside the question of whether Enterprises wants to have FE and ESR at different power levels, can it make more power?
Previous

Return to General Discussions