Building Gen 3 Kit

All things specracer!

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:05 pm
If you are planning on maintaining the car then you really should assemble it yourself. Nothing is
Overly complex and you will be much better able to understand it and work on it later. You will
Find everybody will be willing to help on this site. Also check to see who has one in your area that you can go look at and take pictures.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:00 pm
I'm about halfway done with a new build, would be done but something called work got in the way. I have a gen II that has been absolutely critical to being able to do the build to this point. I don't think I could have figured it out on my own without the gen II. But it is great to know a little more about the details of each component though I have already done quite a bit of repair and replace on the old car. And I wanted to have the satisfaction of knowing I could and did build it myself. Shawn at Motion Dyanamics has been great at answering questions and talking me through the things that didn't quite make sense in the manual so far. There isn't a manual for building a gen III from scratch as far as I can tell. There is the old gen II manual which is a scanned copy of the original and the beautiful and complete gen III conversion manual. I hope Mike Davies gets a chance to integrate the old info into a complete manual.
Elliott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:17 am
Similar to SRF99, I did the same in my 2 car garage at home. I knew nothing about SRF's, other than having rented for one weekend to see if it was for me. I originally was going to buy a completed GEN3 car, but decided the only way to really learn the car inside and out would be to do a full frame up restoration (or build from a new kit). I bought a 1991 Gen2 car, stripped it down to the bare frame. Replaced any bent or scraped tubes, power coated the frame and suspension, new skins and assembled from there. I bought the original assembly manual as well (~$50) which was mildly helpful... it was written in the early Gen2 days and is largely photo copies of photo copies. It took me about 3-4 months to fully complete.

The "new" car has been great though, and I'm having a blast. For what it's worth, it would have been cheaper to just buy a RTR Gen3, but mine is exactly the way I want it, and I now have a much more intimate knowledge of the car.

Good luck!
Previous

Return to General Discussions