Penalty for Using Old Rains at a National

All things specracer!
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:38 pm
There is 1 good thing about the new hard rains. If the weather is iffy at all, slap them on. You will be slightly behind somebody on drys if the track stays dry, but if it rains or rains and dries, you made the right choice and did not destroy a set of tires.

During testing for the hard rains, we had Todd Harris deliberately (with steward permission for testing) enter a dry race on the hard rains. The tires were fine, wore just like the drys. Just a little less rubber to grip the track and thus slightly slower then drys, even in the hands of a pro like Mr Harris.
Todd Butler
OR/SFR Region
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:18 pm
I will say that many regional drivers want to run in the large national races but don't want the expense of two sets of tires. I dont blame them. Several have not used the older soft rains enough to wear the mold marks off them. Some experimented with trying the old ones and found they are too fast to stay out of the race. I don't think this is deliberate cheating so start at the back is all that's needed in my opinion. But two positions is silly and not well thought out at all.

The driver that I know tried these realized how slow he would have to drive on the old rains and decided he could not and bought the new ones too.

Of course if your trying to pull one over then it's delibert and should be harsher.
Tray
SRF3 7 - Atlanta Region
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:06 am
I'm up for having all 3 since the new "rains" are actually an intermediate tire and not a true rain tire.

If Miatas are passing us that fast, we are going to be rolling chicanes for Prod & DSR etc.

Closing speeds like that in limited visibility? :shock:
Dave Gills
#80 Red/Silver (chassis 504)
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Previous

Return to General Discussions