Had to cancel Watkins Glen. In desperation, tried auto-x.

All things specracer!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:14 am
I had never autocrossed (going from HPDE to racing) and being the only person at the PCA event with a trailer and a dedicated race car, I probably had a target on my head! I did not disappoint -- I made everyone else feel very good about themselves that day! Even with the "featherweight" configuration, I was a mess.

The memorization/visualization skills required for autocross are amazing. I never figured out the course, and had lots of mistakes. The low speed car control stuff would probably come in handy in a car chase through city streets. I'm clearly not smooth with my 1-2-1-2 shifting and the SRF 1-2 gear combo is awful for autocross (as are the cold slicks and brake pads!

I am glad I did it. I'm not sure I will do it much more (limiting my time to racing), but I can see the mental benefits of doing it.

https://vimeo.com/42893815
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/bradford.w.brooks
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:27 pm
Props to Greg for trying.... as an avid autocrosser of over 25 years, I don't think i would ever attempt an autox with a SRF... well, most courses have turns tighter than SRFs are capable of. (Heck, I have raced autox courses that would stall a lawn tractor!) Club/Road racers stepping back to autox generally have a bit mmore of a time than experienced autoxers moving up to club/road racing. Look at Randy Pobst and myself on the Pro level. At any rate, I am instructing an intermediate level autocross school for our local region (Southern New York Region / 037) June 9-10. Taking my wife Brenda in my old G-Prod Rabbit or ITS 944 (whichever is running best at that time.
You lose 100% of the races you don't start.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:41 am
I really enjoyed the atmosphere of auto-x. Lower key than racing, and lower key than HPDE. A better mix of people (age, gender) and with the convenience of doing it at a big parking lot, there was just more time to socialize. I suppose all that changes once you move up to the more competitive solo classes!

Return to General Discussions