Decision on Gen 2 Continuation??

All things specracer!
Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:00 am
Todd,

Thank you for the answer. I would of liked to have seen a little longer on gen 2 but obviously it would need to end at sometime. At least now those of us in Gen2s can make plans accordingly.

Robey.. How about a little support for your Gen2 customers the last year! Go to batt for us at Ford! Come on Ford, were running your logo.. Give a little at the office!

Doug Mead
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:13 pm
Some of the comments on here make it sound like the end of the good days of racing the Gen2. Many who weren't around, the decision to at least keep it a regional only class is better than what happened to our Sports Renault in 1996. We lost some great chassis back then and some great friends.
There are many Gen2 guys that are perfectly happy to run regionals where the competition is good and many other pluses such as more track time, and lower costs. Maybe some of these guys have a chance to win some races that were out of their reach when everyone raced Gen2's.
With the current inventory of good used engines out there, this class has many decent years coming. Enterprises, from my visit there a year ago, has many new parts on the shelves for this class. Not sure if any of them will be discounted after 2017, but maybe that would help them clear out some of that stock.
The numbers should have helped keep this class at the national level for a few more years but the decision has been made...
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'
Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:03 pm
Hi Mark,

Good comments. Raises a question I didn't think of before. Has Enterprises committed to support the Gen 2? This will mean they will continue the motor program. How long have they committed? I agree it will remain a great regional class but it will have to be supported.

I am very confused about being able to continue to run gen 2 in the Majors against gen 3. I'm not sure why anyone would want to do that?? Would be cheaper and just as affective to run your bicycle instead.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:49 pm
Doug et al.
It is my understanding that Enterprises is committed to supporting the Gen2, even rebuilding the engines. The day will come when it's not economically feasible to do so, but with current used engine inventories, many years are ahead for the Gen2. My only concern would be parts for the Gen2 trannies.
As for competing the Gen2 against the Gen3 in the majors, it does not happen now and it won't happen in 2018 and beyond as the Gen2 will only compete in regionals.
Mark Fick
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:54 pm
Big OOPS! Missed the other post. Nothing wrong with trying to compete the Gen2 in the majors with the Gen3's. Some of the top Gen2 drivers were beating some Gen3 drivers last year!
Mark Fick
Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:47 pm
Yes. It's not fun running with the tail end of Gen3s. They pass you on the straight and park it in the turn. They get between you and other gen 2s and separate you. Arggg

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Hutch52
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:23 pm
I'm not going to argue the pro and con of continuing the SRF. I have an opinion but the decision has been made.

But, why not let the weight come down to 1560 from 1670. I'm not looking to be flamed by guys who can't get to 1670 but there are plenty of guys who would be pretty quick at 1560 especially in rain. At least let the weight come down if you choose to run in as a Gen 3 in a major.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:53 am
markfick wrote:Doug et al.
It is my understanding that Enterprises is committed to supporting the Gen2, even rebuilding the engines. The day will come when it's not economically feasible to do so, but with current used engine inventories, many years are ahead for the Gen2. My only concern would be parts for the Gen2 trannies.
As for competing the Gen2 against the Gen3 in the majors, it does not happen now and it won't happen in 2018 and beyond as the Gen2 will only compete in regionals.

Yes Enterprises has committed to supporting Gen 2.The argument was that while Enterprises could not support 550+ Gen 2s, (one of the reasons for Gen 3) it could continue to support 100-150 Gen 2s that chose to not convert. With the exception of the engine, (which Enterprises can still rebuild given the large number of good cores out there now), the rest of the car is pretty much identical. So by making it a GCR (nationwide) regional only class, we keep it spec, we keep Enterprise support and compliance, etc.
Todd Butler
OR/SFR Region
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:59 am
SPECFORD59 wrote:I'm not going to argue the pro and con of continuing the SRF. I have an opinion but the decision has been made.

But, why not let the weight come down to 1560 from 1670. I'm not looking to be flamed by guys who can't get to 1670 but there are plenty of guys who would be pretty quick at 1560 especially in rain. At least let the weight come down if you choose to run in as a Gen 3 in a major.

Can run as SRF3 in full SRF Gen 2 trim. That means 1670.
Unless your driver weighed about 80lbs (some hot shot 13 year old kid maybe) no way to get to 1560 with the 1.9L even with brand new clean bodywork. Not sure I see the point here.
Todd Butler
OR/SFR Region
Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:52 am
I'd have to become anorexic and get a new driving suit.
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions