Decision on Gen 2 Continuation??

All things specracer!
Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:51 pm
Was a decision reached about continuing Gen 2 beyond 2017 for Majors events?
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/kangamotorsports/
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:26 pm
I have a feeling people are waiting to see car numbers...

But perhaps others on here know more behind the official announcements?
James Chartres
SRF #82 - Chassis #501
http://www.kangamotorsports.com
Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:15 pm
I guess. Being that there is no contingency from Ford or Enterprises for Gen 2 this year. I'm wondering if we are no longer a customer and if we still have to run the Ford logo on our car.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:38 am
bdm wrote:... we still have to run the Ford logo on our car.

Only on Gen3's, I believe it's been that way for a while.
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:42 am
They can also take out the:
2015 tires allowed for Non-Majors events until 6/1/2016:
Dry: Goodyear Eagle “Spec Racer Ford”; size 22”X7”X13”,
Model
D2525 or D2554
Wet:
Goodyear Eagle “Spec Racer Ford”; size 22”X7X13”, Model
D2626.
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:27 pm
"The answer my friend is blowin in the (CRB) wind, the answer is blowin in the (GCR) wind"

Bob Dylan 1963

The words purposely obtuse seem to be the order of the day on this question.
It's better to be last on the grid at a race track, than have pole position at the Funeral Home.
Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:18 pm
Lol :-). Was meant as a rhetorical question. But thanks!!
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:38 pm
OK…see March 2017 Prelims as posted by Pam (CRB secretary)
https://www.scca.com/pages/cars-and-rules

Effective 1/1/2018 the SRF (1.9L) will become a regional only GCR class but may enter SCCA Majors and Runoffs races as a SRF3 in full compliance with the SRF (1.9L) rule set.

This was done after a lot of discussion between CRB, Enterprises, and BoD. We were trying to maintain entries realizing that if we kicked all the remaining SRFs out of Majors and Runoffs, they might not all have or want the option of regional races so they can enter as SRF3 in Majors/Runoffs and we felt a strong obligation to honor the original 3 year parallel class transition intent. The changes we made, SRF GCR-wide regional class and allowing SRF to enter as SRF3 in Majors/Runoffs actually goes quite a bit farther than the original 3 years, then sunset/kill SRF as a class plan.

For those wondering about precedent, we've done this kind of thing before. SM can enter as STL in full SM trim and IT can enter in the appropriate Prod class in full IT trim. So SRF badged as SRF3 is conceptually not new.

The only downside we see to this is that a relative handful of drivers cannot compete for both SRF and SRF3 SCCA National Championships after 2017. Apologies to those few with the means and the drive to go after both championshiop these 3 years.
Todd Butler
OR/SFR Region
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/kangamotorsports/
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:05 am
Not an easy decision. I really hope everyone looks at the participation numbers mid season and does a reassessment. For 2016 SRF was either 4th or 3rd largest class for majors regions. Looking at the recent numbers for the Southeast it is still the 4th most participated class. By making the SRF run as SRF3 it effectively kills them as competitive in the class and will wipe out a lot of majors entries. But yet we still have some classes with less than 20 or several less than 10 cars participating.... But we want to eliminate a 30+ class.

SRF as a price point makes a great price point entry level class.
SRF3 is the next step up but there is a large cost jump (~$15-20k on used cars).

I think SCCA should be careful in looking at how they handle a great price point entry level class. Not every beginner with SCCA is going to shell out $30k+ for a race car. It seems to me there are a few other downsides than just the double class drivers at the runoffs.

But hey I have a vested interest I have a SRF and the Runoffs are local at Sonoma in 2018. So 1 more year...?
James Chartres
SRF #82 - Chassis #501
http://www.kangamotorsports.com
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:07 pm
With the exception of the Runoffs in 2015 and 2016, SRF has been running as a “class within a class” at all Majors events, being on track with SRF3. So from a participation on track and competiveness standpoint, nothing changes there for 2018. They can still run Majors and enter the Runoffs. There could be trophies and points for SRF badged as SRF3, there just won’t be a SRF SCCA National Champ in 2018. If (and I emphasize *IF*) we go back to competitive requirements vs just participation for Runoffs qualification, SRF would definitely be at a disadvantage trying to accumulate points to qualify. As long as we stay participation based wrt qualification requirements, there is no problem qualifying.

It was brought up in another thread, how many drivers would not have converted if they knew SRF would still be around as a National class? You can massage “what ifs” forever, but the general agreement we reached is that this is a fair compromise between the original transition to fold SRF into SRF3 at the end of 3 years. This keeps SRF as a GCR nationwide class, and still allows them to race Majors and Runoffs.

Was not easy, true. Some wanted SRF to stay National as it was the 5th largest National class in 2016 (SM, SRF3, STL, FV, then SRF). There was concern that if we just dropped them to regional-only, we would lose a substantial number of these entries, not all the SRF drivers entering Majors would or could necessarily show up and run regional-only, and finally Enterprises still wants to continue selling Gen 3 conversion kits. Side note: IMHO, Enterprises primarily exists to put butts in seats which translates to entries in races which supports Regions. It should also make a reasonable return on investment for the shareholder (SCCA Inc, ie the Club members) and not be a financial drain on the club. So it’s a balance, entries, drivers, classes, finances.
Todd Butler
OR/SFR Region
Next

Return to General Discussions