Hans Model

All things specracer!

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:40 am
Hi, I have a Butler seat and a 30 degree HANS. They don't seem to go together very comfortably. Has anyone had the Hans change to their Butler seat? Do you run 20 degree HANS? Any info is a big help.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:16 am
I run a Model 20 HANS with the Butler HANS-modified seat and it's great. Very comfortable.
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/bradford.w.brooks
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:53 am
I'm just over 6 ' tall, 195. When i drove a friend's SRF with a Butler seat and a home-made 'Hans-cut' in the seat, I was using my Hans Pro 20 with great success. When I got MY SRF with a Butler seat, I sent the seat to Butler and had them install the Hans-cut. After reinstalling the seat (it can't really be adjusted), I found that even with the cut, my Pro 20 Hans pushed my head and neck forward uncomfotably. That pretty-well forced me to buy a Hans Sport 30 (couldnt' afford another Pro at this time). It is better, like you suggested, but honestly I think that a "35" would be the best. So what I am saying is that even similarly equipped cars seem to be vastly different. I don't have an explanation beyond that. It does seem very strange to me that some work with a 20 and others seem to favor more than 30 degree tilt. I will say that there is a large difference in the Sport being heavier than the Pro -- Had I known I would have shilled out the extra $350 for the Pro if i had it. Good luck!
You lose 100% of the races you don't start.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:45 am
I have the Butler seat also but not modified for the Hans and I bought the sport Hans 30 last year and have no issues with it. I am 6' tall and there is no room to move the seat back any more so I dont think the Hans mod from Butler would help me. Wearing the Hans is an adjustment in itself and once on and I am in the car racing I dont even know I have it on. I had more issues with my older shoulder belts being 3" wide and my new ones now are configured with 2" shoulder harnesses and sitting in the car testing it I found this to be much better. Hope this info helps.
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:09 pm
Thanks. It appears it's all a matter of individual comfort. I'll see if I can borrow a 20 to sit in my car. I'm sure there's someone in the Houston area. Thanks again.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:14 pm
I forgot to add one more thing I learned about the Hans 20 vs 30 last year at Watkins Glen. When I was sized with the 30 it was more because of my chest size. Barrel chested guys if I remember correctly, felt better with the 20. Skinny chested guys like me must be better for the 30. They advised me to be sized sitting in the car with my helmet on in the seat I was going to race I was told.
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:33 pm
I know that Denny has tried unsucessfully to drive my car (with a standard Butler seat) with his HANS 20. He had to borrow my HANS Sport 30.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:17 pm
^ yup.

Return to General Discussions