COTA-AKA Austin F1 Seating

All things specracer!

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Hutch52
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:41 pm
Sorry if this is out of place here. But, I would really like to hear what others think about the COTA plan to "sell" PSL (personal seat licenses). The lowest cost is 3000/seat in grandstand at turn 15. You then "must" buy a season ticket for all races through end of 2014 and you can then "sell" your PSL to the highest bidder. If you want to go to one F1 race and have a reserved seat, you can just GFY, because there will be no reserved seats. All other seats (if there are any) will be first come first served general admission or stand and watch the cars via a slot in a fence.

I almost wrote a check for 5000 for two seats as we have/had reservations to go this November. But, now I don't know. Do I really need 2 seats with a "9" page contract and a "3 page" ticket agreement.

Holy shit batman, we get F1 back and to me at least they are destroying the fan base before it starts. Are they really going to sell 30,000 PSL to finance the track?

I am anxious to hear what others think. I am now thinking of cancelling our trip and use the money to go to a European GP and fly first class!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:03 pm
I was planning on buying cheap seats for the infield and have a motor home - but they may charge too much for that. Seems to me they are killing the golden goose with outrageous grandstand pricing. I imagine they will not get the buyer response they are hoping for and seat prices will come down fast.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:19 pm
I really hope GP of America in 2013 doesn't go this route or I'm staying home from a race that's 50 minutes away from me.

Hey COTA people...it's reality on line two. Pick up!

Since when do these guys think that F1 is in the same league as the NFL in this country? I mean, did they actually do research on this insane pricing plan? Holy smokes.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:32 pm
I plan to go, but will wait for the individual seating. My take is that they will sell a few of the seat licenses, but most people will not risk a large monetary commitment for something so speculative. I know people who own seat licenses for Steelers football - but that's a whole different animal.
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:37 pm
I sent back my note to the sales rep telling them that i was not interested in "seat" property in Austin Tx. (no offense longhorns). I can think of many better things to do with 5000 dollars (the cheapest I can get two seats).

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:07 am
Bob Devol wrote: I mean, did they actually do research on this insane pricing plan? Holy smokes.

Nothing weaseled...nothing gained.
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:46 pm
For "seat license" money you can fly business class to Kuala Lumpur, have seats at the hairpin or down at Turn 1, and get to visit some nice beaches after the race.

Sepang is actually a really great place to watch a Grand Prix, IMO. And KL is a nice city -- without being as... uhm... well, let's just say it's not Bangkok in all the right ways.

Steve

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:05 pm
@Steve, exactly!We have been going to F1 since 1985 Adelaide and this is absurd. We were thinking London, or even India, but Kuala Lumpur sounds great. Austin will survive with out me.

It is odd though how little "chatter" there is from the F1 fans on this issue. The Austin FB page has NOTHING on this topic, except my post. I don't think the word has gotten out on the subject yet.

Judging from the Bahrain GP F1 doesn't care if the stands are empty.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:43 pm
I just looked at the ticket info on the site and you are right. Downright laughable. I don't, however, see any info about general admission or seating on hillsides, etc.
We (my dad) has PSL's at Texas Motor Speedway and he doesn't use them. I suspect he'd be lucky to get 50% back on them at this point (we sit in another spot now under the Speedway Club, but he still has the near-S/F PSL's). PSL is a great idea... to a certain demographic. If you have enough capture in that demo, then great, but COTA better figure out that the less-hardcore (or perhaps more-hardcore, but less-affluent) fans are the ones that are going to make or break this deal in the long run, imo, especially since they are the ones who will come to events other than F1.
Just my .02.
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/bradford.w.brooks
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:10 pm
As an avid F1 America attendee (Hit every year at Indy) and having paid a whopping $35 for great Turn 1 (Indy turn 4) Tix, I find these new prices irreprehensible. I also consider myself a Texan, having lived just outside of Texas World Speedway in College Station, and was truly looking forward to the November trip to TX this year, I find myself feeling like i'm going to save some money by catching a couple more SRF races as a participant rather than spectator. Probably much better for me in the long run. Bernie and Tavo can play in the sand all they want.
You lose 100% of the races you don't start.
Next

Return to General Discussions