Off-topic: FE and FM to merge?

All things specracer!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:35 am
In the same FastTrack as the SRF->SR3 name change I think I read that they want to combine FE and FM into one class? I don't know how they keep performance parity between the different flavors of FM's, but overall, it sounds like either they got their April fools jokes in late or they want to kick Enterprises in the nuts!?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:08 am
OOOOOOF! Man that smarts....I love tha part where it say "both groups make their lap times in similar fashion at the same place on the track and will race well together". Anyone want to see that overlay of data! That could only be written by someone with NO comprehension of SPEC.

Have you ever had a tired engine and tried to race someone with a fresh one? ...with identical cars, and tires and shocks and weight cars...even THAT is a nightmare. Add in different policing methods etc
Erik
SCCA Enterprises
Site Admin
Site Admin
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/ken.grammer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:29 am
When I was looking at developing "Formula USERA" (which had the unfortunate acronym FU btw :) ) I was looking at combining FE, FM and FC. While the cars are different, I thought it made an interesting open wheel series. I personally have never liked "spec" cars in open wheel racing... which is why I find the IRL series so boring right now.

Having said that, I did feel there would have to be some competition adjustments since that would be combining two spec open wheel classes with an "almost spec" class where all three used different engine/chassis configurations.

The little USERA open wheel race we had a few years ago at Lime Rock was a lot of fun.

I still think it would be a good class if they can figure out how to keep rules creep out... which has never been SCCA's strong point, has it?
Ken Grammer
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:29 pm
My main arguments are all business related...based on car costs, part costs etc. (Should that even be a consideration, not entrirely). However, my other highest level comments are we have a very strict engine program and compliance program, I feel it is superior to what FM has now. Also, from time to time we introduce changes that improve cost, performance or are needed to prevent obsolescence. Now we would be in the realm of the dreaded and time consuming "competition adjustments" fro every single change of any kind...an evil subject if ever there was one! Also, I thought the FE / FM thing would come as part of some grand 20 class restructuring...just picking it as the lowest hanging fruit, and putting out inaccurate (in my opinion) bullet points supporting it, warrants a much more direct response. This being an Agreement renewal year with our supplier Elan' Motorsports Technologies we have enough to deal with.
Erik
SCCA Enterprises

Return to General Discussions