SRF to SR3 in 2013

All things specracer!

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:46 pm
Well off-the-cuff I would say this is a product of the class consolidation movement the BOD is doing. I would guess the combined CSR/DSR might be SR1 and where ever s-2000 lands might be SR2 so in a business sense this kind of branding works. Hey its only been SRF since 95 guys that this class has been SRF and Ford has not given Enterprises any $$$ in years so why the free ride?

Stand up and be counted: YES the CRB letter is a must. A note to YOUR director is a second and don't forget to register a vote with Erik S.

Now what is #73's opinion on this?

Duckster

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:23 am
Here is my concern.

The comp board's SR means "Sports Racer" in their mind. SR in SRF means "Spec Racer"

Throwing us genericaly into a sports racing hierarchy opens the class up to an invasion from another car manufacturer. As Eric expressed about the FE/FM situation, if some company builds a car similar in performace to a SRF, the Comp Board could choose to throw them into the exsisting SR3 group (present SRF) and start "tweaking" performace. If that happens enterprises will lose control and costs will rise.

I read this quickly, so if I missed this thought from another poster forgive me.
It's better to be last on the grid at a race track, than have pole position at the Funeral Home.
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:47 pm
Erik Skirmants wrote:
dave wrote:Maybe because the new tails are coming out too light?

We have a winner! Having close calls with "innocent" new tail owners finding they have under weight tails is bad. We debated with the CSR's if we should drop the weight last year and finally pulled the trigger this year. If you can drive the difference in 3 pounds, congrats...Davies says he cannot. Also we had several items increase the car weight, a pound here and a pound there, so the super sensative can get 3 pounds back here if it makes them feel better.

It also may mean that some people will need to purchase a new tail if they were already close to the old max weight. Is it possible to grind out 3 lbs of repairs without compromising the repairs?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:08 pm
ddgar wrote:It also may mean that some people will need to purchase a new tail if they were already close to the old max weight. Is it possible to grind out 3 lbs of repairs without compromising the repairs?

It's not maximum, it's minimum, feel free to add as much weight to the tail as you want. (They are usually faster w/o a tail.)
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:49 pm
dave wrote:
ddgar wrote:It also may mean that some people will need to purchase a new tail if they were already close to the old max weight. Is it possible to grind out 3 lbs of repairs without compromising the repairs?

It's not maximum, it's minimum, feel free to add as much weight to the tail as you want. (They are usually faster w/o a tail.)

Off on a tangent: If you lose a tail (incident) I assume you're automatically DQed for being underweight (unless you're carrying crazy ballast). I would assume these cars are as fast without the tail as with!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:39 pm
GregCirillo wrote:[quote="dave"

Off on a tangent: If you lose a tail (incident) I assume you're automatically DQed for being underweight (unless you're carrying crazy ballast). I would assume these cars are as fast without the tail as with![/quote]

Not automatically, only if they weigh you for some reason. ;)
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:18 pm
Greg, I have seen people lose their tail during a race and during the cool down lap stop and re-attach it. Then motor slowing to the scales.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:15 pm
jim flynn wrote:Greg, I have seen people lose their tail during a race and during the cool down lap stop and re-attach it. Then motor slowing to the scales.

which is not a legal move, as the car must be legal when it crosses the finish line, not after the cool off lap...
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:57 pm
True, but they weigh you after the cool down lap and if nobody protests (competitors, or officials writing RFA paperwork) you are good to go. Been there done that. Lost my tail to outside of T10 at a Thunderhill race last year. Knew who was manning the T10 station, stopped safely off track and asked via hand signals for permission to go retrieve it and then did so. Nobody weighed after that race anyway and no place penalty for crossing finish line w/out tail. Sometimes you get lucky :D
Todd Butler
OR/SFR Region
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/​jerry.aplass
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:31 pm
dave wrote:

I for one am one of those drivers that will never have a min. weight issue mainly because I am all too familiar with the local pizza/mexican joints in town. But, as I recall, there is a 27 lb min. but also a 60 lb max. weight for the tail. So my understanding that one can add as much weight as they want but only up to 60 lbs max.

See exerpt from GCR below:

C.5. Bodywork
NO MODIFICATIONS ALLOWED (except as specified)
a. Bodywork crash‑damage may be repaired, but exterior dimensions,
shapes, thicknesses, and profiles shall remain unaltered. The addition
of material to increase rigidity and/or the weight is prohibited.
Use of the nose front center body pin is optional. Sections shall
meet the following weight requirements:
Minimum Maximum
Front 35 lbs. 65 lbs.
Center 25 lbs. N/A
Rear 30 lbs. 60 lbs.
b. At‑track repair of crash‑damage may be completed, but the minimum
and/or maximum weight requirements may not be exceeded.
Jerry Aplass SRF #204
San Francisco Region
"Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers." - Colin McRae
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions