Nationals vs Regional vs Rationals

All things specracer!
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:13 pm
Its seems some of us just race Nationals, some just Regionals. Others just race whatever is available, because they like to race. So why do you race one or the other or both? Also if you prefer one over the other does it being a Rational matter to you?
It has been discussed before, but should there be just one type of race with new qualifying criteria for the Runoffs?
This is an unofficial poll. Since participation is down accross the board, I am curious why some people only attend one or the other and just don't come out to race (economics aside.) Thought this might make an interesting discussion.
I fall into the like-to-race group. One caveat, must be a double event.
Bob

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:31 am
SRF is rarely it's own group in regional/rational and is mostly by itself in nationals. Also - nationals tend to have stiffer competition, at least here in SEDiv - with more out of division guys (see entry list for VIR double this weekend).
Lee Hill
SEDiv SRF 72

Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:57 am
I just love to race. I will enter a race dependent on Budget, time and location in that order. It dosn't matter if it's a National, Regional or Rational. Roger Penski is not leaving messages on my phone and dosn't seem to want to answer my emails. I have no plans at the moment to try for the Runoffs but thats the beauty of the SRF and the SCCA. If there is a National that works for me (like last years double at Watkins Glen) or the first race of the year for me this year (Rational @ NHMS). If there was a PRO RACE that was within my budget / time I would have loved to do that as well. The issue is value, unless you were one of the fortunate people who hit the Mega Millions, It's about the event and venue. I like to do a couple events that have a good track, Track time and resonable travel cost . The competitors in the North East are a blast to race with and I have a great time no matter where I am on the grid. I've been fortunate enough to have won a race but some of my best races have been for fourth at a regional, flopping out of the car at impound giggling like a 12 year old girl. Those races are sweet indeed. Let's face it, anytime I can get in the car and push myself is just plain awsome!!

This my not have answered any questions but we are a racing club and I'll do as many events as I can no matter what it is.

Suggestion? Add enduro's to the SRF schedule.
Dave Mailhot
SRF #55 NER
PixelMEDIA Racing

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:28 pm
Given the choice between running a local regional or a national, I will do the national for the very reason Lee Hill cited...stiffer competition with guys from out of the area. One only has to look at the number of events scheduled on April 28th and 29th on the west coast (Portland regional, Laguna regional, and Buttonwillow SuperTour National) that are competing for attendance to answer the low turn out question. Like Lee said in his post VIR this weekend has 39 SRF for a double national. A little cordination between regions could develop a killer divisional schedule that works with Oregon and SoCal...so everyone could play together. But it hasn't happened in the 12+ years I have been racing in SFR.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:46 pm
All other things being equal, I'll pick a national over a regional since the competition seems a little bit tougher... even if most of the field is the same bunch of people from my division, everyone seems to try a bit harder in nationals. Other than that, I just take as many races as my family, job, and bank account will put up with in a year, with preference toward events run by my home region, near family, and at challenging tracks.

Having said that, if the runoffs were going to be at the Austin F1 track or Indianapolis, I would make a serious effort (running nationals at inconvenient tracks, on inconvenient weekends, and raising extra cash) to get an invitation!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:23 pm
Dave here is a tip to help you get that ride with Roger, it's Penske.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:01 pm
I think a lot of it really depends on the local scene. If all your buddies and best competitors show for Nationals that’s where you will race, if your buds and competition show for Regionals that’s where you will race. I think that, friends and competition dictate the racing scene for most people. Wanting to get to the Runoffs and being serious enough about it to do so, is a much smaller percentage of drivers.
Todd Butler
OR/SFR Region

Return to General Discussions