Hans

All things specracer!

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:37 pm
We have had the same problem with most of our rental drivers regardless of height (except for the REALLY short guys) and our solution was a thin closed cell foam pad to replace the headrest. it does not meet the 1" rule stated above but maybe that rule should be re-evaluated because 1" is too thick for the taller drivers and the Hans combined with a dense closed cell foam pad should be more than sufficient as far as I can see.

we also changed the mounting of our belts significantly because stock mounting with fiberglass seats is not at all consistant with the recomended belt angles and mounting to becompatible with hans as per their literature and general knowlege.

For ease and adjustability and installation as well as getting the belt webbing farther away from engine compartment and fuel, removed the welded webbing loom attached to the chassis, covered the open hole the the engine bay with a piece of aluminim. we then drilled through the large square lateral tube that originally held the belt mounts, and mounted standard seat belt hardware with 7/16th bolts. We have fabricated a steel guide that bolts through the diagonal tube and steel bulkhead across the main hoop and allows the belts to come straight up and loop over the guide giving the belts a much more horizontal approach to the Hans and avoiding the potential for compression injuries as well as having the belts effectively mounted closer together to reduce risk of having belts slide off the sides of the Hans.

numerous customers over 6' have commented that it is a significant improvement in comfort, ease of use with Hans and seems to alleviate the concern of compression injuries in a frontal impact.

The Butler seat does all of these things automatically but larger drivers should consider that belts coming from that low and over your shoulders in the fiberglass seats are not as effective as belts coming from behind at a near horizontal approach.

I can take some pics if anyone is interested.

Charlie Greenhaus
Entropy Racing
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:54 pm
A picture or two would be helpful. I have a 20 now, tall, etc. and very interested in all the info. thanks Joel
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:20 pm
A simple alternate approach to get some space between HANS and headrest:
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produ ... RecID=1059
use this on the fiberglass seat or between the aluminum seat and seat cover on the Butler. It offsets you enough forward to get the clearance you need.

But definitely check the angle of the seat belts. They need to be near horizontal and closely spaced for proper HANS effectiveness. They should not curve way up and round over your shoulders (ie should not be compressing your spine when belts are cinched).
Todd Butler
OR/SFR Region

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:54 pm
problem solved, the shoulder harnneses had to be re located , the old location was to low forcing the neck portion of the hans to push on the bottom back portion of my helmet forcing my head forward. Thank You
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/bradford.w.brooks
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:05 am
Here's some pictures from my seat fitment and reinstall over last weekend.

I'm 6'1" / 200+/-, and just had Butler HANS-Modify my seat. I have been running a medium HANS 20 for the past 4 years (in my H-Prod, IT cars, and a friend's SRF w/ Butler), but for some reason find myself suddently needing at HANS 30 to fit properly in my *new* SRF car. My HANS is like brand new and i'm looking to trade for a 30. I can "live with" my 20, but would prefer a 30.

You lose 100% of the races you don't start.
Previous

Return to General Discussions