Rain Tires

All things specracer!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:17 am
SPECFORD59 wrote:I had just bought 4 new rains at the beginning of the 2011 season, my old tires were from the original goodyear rains.

Are there anyother classes who might be buyers of our rain tires? Geeze, thats nearly 800 bucks down the drain. (no pun intended)

From what I understand, the "old" rain is originally a light GT rain tire. So small bore GT guys might well be interested.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:44 am
BTW, I am just finishing the last little bit of moving the shop and last weekend I found a complete set of brand-new Yokohama rains mounted on steel wheels (actually maybe 1 session), and yesterday one almost-new Bridgestone rain. (and I have never raced on Bridgestones). I think I have one set of unmounted Goodrich rains to complete the archives...
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:56 pm
breton wrote:I actually would have recommended reversing the options, putting the Regional guys onto the longer lasting tires, and the National guys having both options for a year, (more in line with the typical budget constraints of Regional drivers.) The regional drivers could sell "up" to National drivers, and the National drivers could have a year of multiple choices (at which point I assume everyone would really be ready for the "Intermediates" as the only option.)

Bob: Not practical. At Portland in a 30 minute race the old rain tires would come close to lapping the new rain tires. The new rains are about 7-8sec a lap slower (~1.9 mile course) in the wet stuff than the old rains at PIR. It would take a *lot* of weight penalty to equalize that. So making them mandatory for Nationals and optional for Regionals at least gives a period of time to burn up the old rains and does not impact (except for having to buy a new set of rains) National races.

Personally I liked the super soft old rains, but there were enough folks caught out on drying tracks to push for the change and Enterprises made it. Some of us may very well get stuck with unused or little used old rains, that's the price in a spec class.

Someone could always run the old rains anyway, lap the front running national drivers for moral(?) satisfaction to say you did it then take the DQ :lol:
Todd Butler
OR/SFR Region
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:12 pm
...or, require that you finish on the new rains. That way, you can start the race on the old rains, but then have to make a mandatory pit stop to change to the new rains before the last lap... ;-)
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:58 pm
That brings up an interesting idea. Why not just make it a one lap penalty for using the old rains in a national. Might be interesting to see if somemone can make it up and won't discourage participation by others.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:22 am
^I love that idea.

East coast National racers, please consider using up your old rain tires in the new and improved Mid-Atlantic Road Racing Series: 13 sanctions at six different venues (four double weekends!), from Watkins Glen to Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Elizabeth Miller
fast cars, slow food
WDCR Asst. Race Chair, Competition
Previous

Return to General Discussions