All things specracer!
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1079944414
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:46 pm
Sports Racing SRF
1. #6522 (Mike Davies) SRF Wet tire part # update.

Effective 2/1/2012, change 91.9.C. Chassis Specifications, F as follows:

Tires:
Dry: Goodyear Eagle “Spec Racer Ford”; size 22” x 7” x 13”, Model D2525.
Wet: Goodyear Eagle “Spec Racer Ford”; size 22” x 7” x 13”, Model D2626.
Wet: Part number D2524 is permitted in Regional races only through the end of 2012."
Robert Reed
N.E. SRF#03
A.M.E.C. VW#99
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:49 pm
Somehow, I don't see me lining up to mourn the death of our "super rains."

YAY! New rain tires! :D

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:41 pm
+1, except my old set still have a session or two (conditions permitting, of course) left in them.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:17 pm
steve kramer wrote:+1, except my old set still have a session or two (conditions permitting, of course) left in them.

You have to consider alternate uses.

I have a set of nearly new rains. I will need to seek out rainy weekends next year, or build furniture. Maybe buy a tugboat...

http://tiretable.com/index.htm
Site Admin
Site Admin
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/ken.grammer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:56 pm
Hey, I have about 600 extra NASCAR Sprint/Truck series tires here at the kart track to unload.

I never thought about becoming a furniture maker!
Ken Grammer
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:08 pm
GregCirillo wrote:
steve kramer wrote:+1, except my old set still have a session or two (conditions permitting, of course) left in them.

You have to consider alternate uses.

I have a set of nearly new rains. I will need to seek out rainy weekends next year, or build furniture. Maybe buy a tugboat...

http://tiretable.com/index.htm

Come down for the Buck Muse races in March at Carolina Motorsports Park. We always have a rain race to look forward to.
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:47 pm
Ok, so the new rains are more like Intermediates- dry compound w/ tread

Kudos to the folks at enterprises for their efforts to improve the product. They have developed some nice pieces to update our cars.

But I have some reservations about the immediate obsolescence of the old tires; as these tires represent a significant investement that often go several weekends or a complete season never being used. The old tires are going to be almost worthless right away since they are only allowed in regionals for an additional year. Many drivers, such as myself, will have to eat an $800 investement in unused tires and replace them with another ($800) new set.

Some divisions are seeing smaller car counts and I believe many were having trouble breaking even on some events. That $800 for new rains is more than the entry fees for two weekends and does make a difference.

- For nationals this year, why not allow both ( with weight adjustments??) and let the hosting region address the issue (calling out which can be used) with the supps for the larger (Supertour/June Sprints, etc) events for 2012. The tire rule change could be implemented at the end of this year for club racing.

- As mentioned previously, we now have rationals. So if you entered with a national license are you going to withdraw or have to change to regional standing to run a 'rain' race???

- If the old tires go off that fast and are no longer available, then a competitor on them should only have an advantage for one weekend at most.

- If you are going to allow them anyway in regionals, why limit it to 2012. I don't believe they are going to get faster as time passes????

Thumbs up to enterprises for their efforts.

Thumbs down to club racing and??? for overlooking the impact of the extra cost on the competitors.

Mark Morhaus
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:14 pm
No different than the conversion from Yoke's to Goodyear's, when all those rain tires (that many had for years) were instantly obsoleted. Unfortunately, unless there is performance parity, that's a challenge. I think that the current approach is a good compromise given the desire by many to have a longer-lasting tire immediately, vs. immediately obsoleting the "fast" rains. As it is, the regional guys are actually more compromised, since those willing to spend the money can have both full and "intermediates" at hand. At least at the National level, no one will have an unfair advantage.

I actually would have recommended reversing the options, putting the Regional guys onto the longer lasting tires, and the National guys having both options for a year, (more in line with the typical budget constraints of Regional drivers.) The regional drivers could sell "up" to National drivers, and the National drivers could have a year of multiple choices (at which point I assume everyone would really be ready for the "Intermediates" as the only option.)
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Hutch52
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:19 am
I had just bought 4 new rains at the beginning of the 2011 season, my old tires were from the original goodyear rains.

Are there anyother classes who might be buyers of our rain tires? Geeze, thats nearly 800 bucks down the drain. (no pun intended)
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:01 am
SPECFORD59 wrote:I had just bought 4 new rains at the beginning of the 2011 season, my old tires were from the original goodyear rains.

Are there anyother classes who might be buyers of our rain tires? Geeze, thats nearly 800 bucks down the drain. (no pun intended)

Check with people the IT classes, they have cars that use all sorts of tire sizes. They might not buy them, but at least you won't have to pay to throw them away.

The whole furniture thing is pretty funny. At pro events, I see people going to all sorts of trouble hauling throwaway tires around as souvenirs.

Dave H
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions