Why Spec Racer Ford?

All things specracer!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:33 am
I just removed my engine after 7 years on the rebuild to update to the new Gen3 engine. The last race at Road America, I turned a time in the 41's about .4 seconds off my best time ever on a horsepower track and never got out horse-powered on the straights. See if you can find a Spec Miata guy that can say the same!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:45 am
kengberg wrote:Thanks for all the replies. Anthony, I found your old thread and it was very helpful. I really think I'm going to go SRF. One big turnoff of SM is simply how slow that car is.

From what I gather, the Gen 3 upgrade kit is about $10,000. Is that correct?

Thanks again,

Ken

For the first batch of kits, the cost was $10,995. That cost is likely to rise over time. If you are buying a current SRF with the thought of upgrading it to the GEN3 try to find a car that is reasonably up to date. In particular, I would look for one that has had the in-tank fuel pump installed (mandatory for GEN3). Ventilated brake rotors are also mandatory for GEN3, but easier to take care of on your own.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:22 am
kengberg wrote:Thanks for all the replies. Anthony, I found your old thread and it was very helpful. I really think I'm going to go SRF. One big turnoff of SM is simply how slow that car is.

Thanks again,

Ken

SRF guys calling SM's slow is a little bit of pot-kettle dialog. We're faster than SMs (not SM5s) but there are faster race cars out there. Gen 3 will move lap times down to where people will take notice, but what makes it special is that the cars are so equal that you need to be a good driver to get up front.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:24 am
Links to the Spec Racer brochure. It's about four years old, but still has the key selling points...

Outside:

http://www.bobdevol.com/SR_Book-Outer-11-17-10.pdf

Inside:

http://www.bobdevol.com/SR_book-Iinner_11-17-10.pdf

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:03 am
I have a friend that I tried to convince to get into SRF. He decided to go the SM route because it had a cheaper buy in cost and it was an enclosed car. In his first season, he has blown an engine ($7,000), broken a transmission ($1,000), and had his first major wreck this last weekend ($TBD). He also like Paul mentioned drives the car to the track...so he has two tow truck hauls back from the track. In the 14 years I have been driving SRF I have only had one occasion where we couldn't roll the car into the trailer at the end of a race weekend.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:39 pm
I've got it on good authority that a good SM (competitive at the national level) will cost you $45,000.

And I don't think you can win a race in an SM that you drive to the track.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:03 pm
GregCirillo wrote:I've got it on good authority that a good SM (competitive at the national level) will cost you $45,000.

And I don't think you can win a race in an SM that you drive to the track.

I have it on equally good authority that a front-row Majors-win capable SM now runs close to $70,000.

In SM, speed costs money. How fast do you want to go? SM is a cheaper buy-in. And what you're buying into is the back of the field.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:14 pm
Hal B. wrote:Here is a reason to go SRF over SM.
(unedited...sorry, but plenty of SM)

http://youtu.be/0d3zWYSkuIc

Seems like you are more popular with the workers than the driver of the RX-7. :)
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:22 pm
GregCirillo wrote:

Thanks again,

Ken

SRF guys calling SM's slow is a little bit of pot-kettle dialog. We're faster than SMs (not SM5s) but there are faster race cars out there. Gen 3 will move lap times down to where people will take notice, but what makes it special is that the cars are so equal that you need to be a good driver to get up front.

True, but from my observations of the cars, it appears that the difference in speed between the two classes is at least appreciable. Obviously I don't have experience driving either, but I'd rather go faster given the choice if the cost is comparable. Although from yours and others' posts, it seems like SM is not as economical as one would think.

Thanks!

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:52 pm
You have all the correct info, however, let tell you a quick story of SRF on a Hooked on Driving Day at The Ridge, near Shelton, WA.
My son wanted to learn the track, so off we go to The Ridge with Hooked on Driving day. He signed in for the fastest group. Oh yes he was passed by some turbo go fast little cars as well as several Porsches. But by the end of the day, he was one of the few still on track and was playing with a 2015 street Corvette. It was interesting how fast that vette walked away in the go pro camera and was a tiny spec at the end of the straight{about 1 mile long}. Turn 1 is a fair quick corner and begins leading you up the hill. T2 bend to the right and the car gets light. Yup the SRF{ with a rapidly declining HP from missed shifts going to 5th and got 3rd} was on that corvettes bu%% by T2.
So it isn't all about top speed as others have stated but rather the ability to maintain your speed.

Finally, If you haven't read it yet, the Gen2 1.9L cars can still be raced until 2017. Then after that you will have to compete heads up with the new 1.6 motor package.
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions