Economics or Economy

All things specracer!
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:27 pm
Last time I checked there were only 88 entries for the The SFR Double National. For us that is a low turn out. I am wondering if, as it has been the past few years, the economy. Or is it economics.
The fees were raised by our board to make up for low attendance last year. Economics will tell you as price goes up, demand goes down further. It probably doesn't help that SCCA also requires a new rain tire at $800 a set for a National. Rain should not be a factor, but if you are trying to plan ahead to attend the race, new rains could be a factor.
I ask this of racers from all regions, and not just SFR: Is it the Economy or Economics that is or will cause you to not race this season?
For me it will be the price of gas to get to the race that will cause me to skip a couple of far away races I had planned to attend this year.
Bob

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:26 pm
For me, it is definately economics. The cost of gas and the cost of tires are the two biggest factors. I live in San Diego, so it is a haul no matter where I go. I use a set budget for my racing that let's me race four weekends per year with two new sets of tires, and no major problems (like tranny rebuilds, new rain tires, etc). Any big problems, it is down to three weekends (or less).

For Thunderhill, just the gas for my truck would be over $900 at today's prices. This is three times my typical gas expense, so it is significant to my budget. Any other cost adders, like higher entry fees, would make it just that much harder to absorb.

I would love to come up and race at Thunderhill with you guys, but it is not in the cards with today's costs. And to think ten years ago, I was racing one weekend per month... :cry:

DaveP
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:47 pm
DaveP,
If you can't make it to THill, maybe you can make it to Laguna Seca for our 4-day event (A rare test day, with 5 sessions for SRF's.) Plus you can double up with the SR group and really wear yourself out.
Since I like to travel to new tracks and it has been frustrating with the high price of gas we have seen some of the last 6 years. Now that I have the freedom to travel, gas makes it prohibitive.
Hopefully, gas will come down so we can both travel.
Bob

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:22 am
Economics or the economy? To me the two are very closely related.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:30 am
Have you considered towing with a Chevy Volt?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:02 am
Someone once told me that club racing behavior lags the economy by 2 years (or 2 seasons) meaning that, as things are declining racers will be in denial, and slow to give up their hobby. But you can't deny reality forever. If that's true, then 2013 would be the club racing recovery year (fingers crossed).

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:31 am
stu coomer wrote:Have you considered towing with a Chevy Volt?

You tow with internal combustion...you push with electric.

H.(duh...)B.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:58 am
While I have to be mindful about the budget for me missing the double national was a question of time. I had too many demands on it to complete the winter rebuild of the race car. I am working hard to hopefully have it ready for the end of the month.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:06 am
Hal, how would you see where you`re going with the Volt behind the trailer?

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:41 pm
stu coomer wrote:Hal, how would you see where you`re going with the Volt behind the trailer?

Just make believe your drafting in a line of SRF. Nothing to see there. Just keep the pedal down and follow.

H.(...and pray)B.
Next

Return to General Discussions