GoPro camera

All things specracer!

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
None
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:22 pm
Thinking about picking one up as a learning tool, and was wondering if anyone on the board had any issues with the product.
I am also curious about the best way to mount the camera. Gopro has a rollbar mount, but it doesn't look terribly robust in the pictures that I've seen online. Is the eye of mine product any better?

Many thanks,
Matt
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:01 pm
I like the Contour ones better...
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:22 pm
I have the older model and use the roll bar mount above my head and have no camera issues as long as you use very good batteries like the lithium ones (thanks Mr. Devol :) ) but i also have had success with rechargeable Ray-o-Vacs. I just make sure that they are freshly charged. The only issue i have and maybe someone has a solution other than an upgrade is that i tend to start the camera too early in the false grid because i cannot reach up with any confidence and start the camera once buckled in. Then if we have a lengthly false grid i lose some of the race at the end as the older model has about 50 minutes of time on a 2 gig chip. the older models cannot use larger chips to my understanding. my results have been very good as i edit the results on my imac.
Bob Devol uses about 20 of them on his car to my knowledge so he can give you some insight too on these units :) I think its to keep an eye out for Feno and I :)
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:30 pm
New ones have onboard rechargeable which is very worth it. The ones I've seen that are the newer HD ones are pretty nice. The old ones are huge POS. I used to be a dealer but when 2/3 of my first 36 wouldn't work on open wheel/sport racers I was done with them. They figured it out and got a LOT better. Mike Skeen has used his in just about every angle and it's always been a champ.

One imprtant bit is to be wary of how you tighten the base. Too tight will break the plastic and they will then fall off at some point.
Joe Cooley
Circuit Motorsports

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:51 pm
I got one of the newer HD ones last year and have been very pleased with the results (and yes, it's a good training tool, which I need). I have it mounted on the SRF roll bar and it seems quite secure. Several of us that race as part of MSR's group have the newer GoPro cameras and everyone seems happy with the product.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
None
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:07 pm
Thanks for the feedback!
The Contour camera looks a bit more compact, but doesnt sound like I will go wrong with either the GoPro or Contour.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:15 pm
Hi have the GoPro H-Def and it's great, plus it's compatible with most data systems. Hint: you'll get great results at 720p with a low-calorie video file that's easier and cheaper to archive and edit.

The non-hi def GoPros work best when using Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries.

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
Chassis:
608-1
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:39 pm
What about the sound; is there wind noise?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:22 pm
Jim Ellinger wrote:What about the sound; is there wind noise?

Wind noise is minimal at speed, Jim. Unless you blow into the back of the camera housing with the camera rolling and then, yes, wind noise.

Will you be joining us this year?

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:36 am
I use the GoPro camera on just about every lap that I ran in 2011, which included wet races, one day in sleet and another day at about 100 degrees (MAM). The GoPro worked great under every condition. As far as the sound goes, there is a litt bit on wind noise, which is generally drowned out by engine noise. One thing I have noticed and I don't care for is that the camera tends to rattle within the box, which I resolved by adding two small pieces of window weather stripping. If you would llike to have more sound, the camera comes with two backs for the box, one vented and one solid. The vented will allow more sound to get to the camera. When racing at Blackhawk at the beginning of the season race officials noticed these cameras were ratteling loose and falling on the track. The following weekend I attached at 12" steel fishing leader which I was able to secure around the roll bar as well as the camera. If it does come loose it will fall just inside or outside of the car. I just make a point of tightening each thumb screw as I start the next session. If you don't do this, I have found that after 2 - 3 sessions it will rattle loose enough to fall off. One more thing, just make sure that you have enough sd card space as well as battery life. I typically use at 16 sd card each day (i have 2) and that provides plenty of space for each day.

Trey
Next

Return to General Discussions