GoPro camera

All things specracer!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:36 am
I recently picked up the new model and it has a spot to plug in a remote mic. This should help take care of wind noise if you put the mic in the side pod. Looks like to me I will have to drill a small hole in the plastic case in order to use the mic. Not sure as of yet where I can pick the mic up, but will call gopro and see if they sell them. Trey, based on your post I am thinking about drilling a hole or two in the plastic spider bolt and attaching a wire or two to the plastic case so that the bolt can't come loose. My son is using the camera this weekend when skying in Colorado, so I don't have it in front of me to see the best way of fixing the problem. Bought the camera from our sponsor, saferacer. They gave me a 10% scca discount and free shipping. Prior to that I was not able to find anyone that would discount the new camera. Best Buy sells them and the guy at our local store said it was one of the best sellers over the holidays. It suppose to have much better definition than the older models and they are going to add a remote which can be used with this new camera. I have tried the camera in my street car and it works great. Easy to turn on and off and there are several lights that indicate it is running. Battery life is between 2.5 and 5 hours depending on definition settings. There are several difinition settings and I use 720p with the less wide angle option for the best picture. It's the only setting that allows you to take away some of the curved view you see on some video. In my mind it gives you the best picture and the wide angle is still much larger than my old camera.
Site Admin
Site Admin
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/ken.grammer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:52 pm
My son bought one to use here at the kart track and while riding his bike. The quality is awesome and the wind sound minimal.
Ken Grammer

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
Chassis:
608-1
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:05 pm
Bob Devol wrote:
Jim Ellinger wrote:What about the sound; is there wind noise?

Wind noise is minimal at speed, Jim. Unless you blow into the back of the camera housing with the camera rolling and then, yes, wind noise.

Will you be joining us this year?

So, from what you are saying, I can expect only engine noise for most of the lap, except, say, between turn-in and apex at Canada. Between 60-70 mph. Backwards.

Joining this year? Possible. At this time not probable. But, possible.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:28 pm
FYI, Maybe other models of the Contour are better about this, but my 1080 HD got splashed and trapped moisture between the front glass and camera lens for days. I'll try putting in O rings or some good old silicone to see if I can fix it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:38 am
I have used the ChaseCam, which I liked. Now considering a Replay XD1080 HD... anyone care to comment on that one? I like the small size, but it is $100 more than the contour.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:05 am
Jim Ellinger wrote:
Bob Devol wrote:
Jim Ellinger wrote:What about the sound; is there wind noise?

Wind noise is minimal at speed, Jim. Unless you blow into the back of the camera housing with the camera rolling and then, yes, wind noise.

Will you be joining us this year?

So, from what you are saying, I can expect only engine noise for most of the lap, except, say, between turn-in and apex at Canada. Between 60-70 mph. Backwards.

Reverse direction wind noise is a phenomenon we have observed, Captain Ellinger. However, it has been found in this instance that often the winds steadily diminish until they come to an abrupt stop. This is something we are looking into and will get back to you with our findings.

GoPro Engineering Department

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:11 am
Bob Devol wrote:
Jim Ellinger[quote="Jim Ellinger wrote:What about the sound; is there wind noise?

Bro-
I think that instead of the issue of wind noise, more importantly you should be focused on the mounting position in order to facilitate the "lift and carry" out of the gravel without damage to the camera.

H.(experienced at the dangle)B.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:21 am
mrldcty wrote:I have used the ChaseCam, which I liked. Now considering a Replay XD1080 HD... anyone care to comment on that one? I like the small size, but it is $100 more than the contour.

The replay is the one I was going to get until I saw the Contour on sale at Amazon.
Nice thing about the replay is the HDMI out and it looks easier to set up... also I think you can mount it more solidly than the contour. Dunno how its battery life is, though... the Contour made it for 3 or 4 hours during an Enduro since its larger case lets it have a cellphone-sized battery. Some of the newer Contour models have a bluetooth iPhone/android thing to make it easier to aim.

I think the replay has a microphone input, which would be nice since the Contour mostly gets wind noise from its internal-only mic.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:51 pm
Newer GoPros have overcome the battery life issue. I still find the tiny buttons, multi-level menus and minimal display to be a problem. Sometimes you just don't know if you've got it turned on, especially if you press the button while you're strapped in.

For that reason alone, I went with a ContourHD. It's a stouter casing (aluminum) and it has a big slider switch that can be activated with a glove.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:32 pm
Yeah, that's one great thing about the Contour... big slide switch to start recording.
Mine is mounted where I can reach it, turn it on, and see the red recording light in my mirror.
Previous

Return to General Discussions