"Short" runoffs proposal?

All things specracer!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:36 am
My view is that paid test days should be banned within 30 days of the event. It's both a rip-off in terms of cost and provides an advantage for those willing to fork over a season's worth of testing expense in one week. Secondly, put some control over ancillary track-imposed costs ($1,000 golf cart rentals being an example, fuel another) Two qualifying sessions should be plenty; if it's possible to put in a couple of test sessions as part of the schedule, that would be fine as well. Right now, it's a 3 week time investment and about the cost of a full season of racing for those of us having to make the 2,200 mile trek from the west coast running 2-3 days of test week, plus a long and dreary schedule during race week. Too many race groups, qualifying sessions, warmups, etc. How about 4 - 2 day events, or 3 - 3 day events, split across the total number of classes? Now the whole event can be done in 8-9 days, but no single class needs more than 2-3 days of consecutive time.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:39 am
Folks,

Thanks for the comments.
Terry Ozment and Eric Prill worked hard on that no-more-than-4-days required schedule at the request of the BoD. The BoD will be voting on it at next weeks BoD meeting at the convention. Terry will be presenting the results but notes to bod@scca.com won't hurt with your opinion either.

There was a lot of internal BoD and Topeka Staff and CRB discussion about something like a 4-1-4 schedule, half the groups qual and race Sat-Tue, Wed change over and other half groups qual and race Thurs-Sunday. Apparently the specifics of our contract with RA would not let that happen this year. Even the proposed shortened schedule will take discussion with RA. One of the attractions of a 4-1-4 schedule is then you don't need to have a track capable of hosting 500-700 cars, all you need is 250-350 per weekend so it opens up the possibility of more tracks as possible Runoffs venues.

Couple of notes/thoughts:

As noted by Jim above, the track pays SCCA for the "right" to host the Runoffs. Personal opinion here, but I believe that contributes to excessive pricing for everything from spectator entry to track fuel to golf carts to camping and test day fees. The track has to recoup that money paid to SCCA somewhere and drivers are the only cash cow they can milk. Looking ahead into my very cloudy crystal ball, I can't see that model working very much longer, I'd see SCCA actually renting the track like normal Regions have to do and that will give us more opportunities down the road at the next Runoffs venue.

Also note that if this happens, it's going to piss some people off. See E30 grouped with SRF discussion. No decision made will make everybody happy. There is a sizable contingent of folks who are what we would call traditionalists and like the current week long schedule.

Final note...I feel like I'm in Chicago. I get to vote twice, once as a National driver responding to the survey (positively in favor if you must ask) and I'll get to vote again at the BoD meeting. ;)

Todd (NorPac Area 13 Director Hat On) Butler
Todd Butler
OR/SFR Region

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:36 am
Thanks for the extra information Todd... I think it's an improvement and I like alot of the suggestions others have made in this thread... Probably the best and most implementable would be to change the first Qual session to a practice.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:38 am
Todd, as we like to say here in Chicago, vote early and vote often :)
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:18 am
It is now official, they will be using the new short runoffs schedule this year:
http://www.scca.com/news/index.cfm?cid=50935

Also note that SRF and Spec Miata are called out as having standalone qualifying sessions, i.e. we will not need to share the track with another class.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:25 am
peterjank wrote:It is now official, they will be using the new short runoffs schedule this year:
http://www.scca.com/news/index.cfm?cid=50935

Also note that SRF and Spec Miata are called out as having standalone qualifying sessions, i.e. we will not need to share the track with another class.

The club has made an aggressive change! And I thought the ground-shaking was an earthquake. :)

Dave H
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:14 pm
I think our BOD deserves a couple of "attaboys" for having the guts to try some new things.

The classic definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different outcome. Even if some of the changes don't work out, at least we may learn something from having tried.
Lee Hill
SEDiv SRF 72
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:57 pm
Wow, I just noticed the "this year" part. 8-)
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:31 am
dave wrote:Wow, I just noticed the "this year" part. 8-)

Yep, green light given "this year". If it does not work, back to the drawing board for 2013, but if it does work I'd expect it to carry over for 2013. Expect to see schedule published in April FasTrack coming out later this month. It will be similar but not exactly identical to what you saw in the survey.

Interesting survey results. Aparently SCCA drivers are good survey responders (or we are not busy enough with race season yet????). About 30% return rate which is very good for an online survey. 70% overall favorable, a few classes (2 I believe) neutral to slightly negative and the rest ranged from 2X to 10X in favor. Pretty convincing and clear response.

Todd (4 days in to 5 days of BoD meetings and Convention) Butler
If I'm good for 1 more day they let me out on parole and I get to go home and do something useful, like pack race trailer and load car for my first race :D
Todd Butler
OR/SFR Region
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:13 am
Todd SRF73 wrote:...
If I'm good for 1 more day they let me out on parole and I get to go home and do something useful,
like pack race trailer and load car for my first race :D

Does that mean you've changed you mind about coming to see us?
Dave Harriman
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions