Gen 3 Test

All things specracer!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:08 pm
I had the opportunity to drive the Gen 3 today at the NHMS test day. Shawn Morrison of Motion Dynamics put the conversion together last week and as, I am sure everyone has seen, the conversion looks sweet! Shawn said the conversion is pretty straight forward and easy to do. Shawn drove the car in the morning sessions and I was able to see how easily he drove by me in my car. Turn 3 at this track is a second gear corner and goes up a hill and when Shawn went up this hill ahead of me I could see him spinning the right rear all the way up the hill. Throttle modulation is going to be a new skill required to drive this car. NICE!!.

In the afternoon Shawn let me do a couple of sessions in the car and let me tell you it was a hoot to drive! The first thing I noticed was that I needed to move my brake points up to make up for the additional speed. The torque numbers are not much more than the existing motor so the additional speed is achieved in the higher rpm range and the speed addition is significant. This track is short at 1.6 miles and doesn't use 5th gear so it isn't a great test but the difference in speed is still substantial. With the additional hp and the reduction in weight it is a much more fun car to drive. I am looking forward to driving this car at Watkins Glen where it will definitely show what it can do. (Shawn take note)

All in all the car meets the expectation that I had with all the previous good reports that have been published. I am looking forward to getting a kit and making the change. My hats off the Mike Davies in a job well done.

Randy

Return to General Discussions