In case you thought this could never happen

All things specracer!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:11 pm
I post this not for comment, only so others can see what is possible and make sure your safety equipment is up to a challenge.

This was strictly a racing incident. The tires on the cars unfortunately lined up exactly wrong. Six inches either way and there would have been a bent pan.

I hope drivers (not the case here) who tend to weave around and play games will watch this and consider changing their ways.

https://youtu.be/cMdsHUAvkpw
It's better to be last on the grid at a race track, than have pole position at the Funeral Home.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:46 pm
Anyone that doesn't yet have some form of head surround installed other than roll bar padding should study this video closely. The travel side to side of the head and impacts to the roll bar of the involved driver is extreme and occurred multiple times.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:45 am
Hope the driver of the #47 is OK.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:58 pm
@Peterjank,
Last night as I was going to bed I heard the drivers wife talking to her mother. Didn't catch the entire conversation but I heard things like "unbelievably lucky asshole" and "not a scratch" Yeah I do feel lucky. Thanks for your concern.

©JBR. yes a better head surround system is high on the list of up grades. Thanks for your observations, that's why I felt it was important to post this. So others would consider looking at their safety equipment.
It's better to be last on the grid at a race track, than have pole position at the Funeral Home.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:55 pm
I treat TBI, traumatic brain injury- have had a surround for years, even with the double density foam a slight off at oaktree in the wet put me into the tire wall sideways and my video showed me to completely compress the padding and I did have a very mild concussion, next race I had the head surround.

I am selling that old style if anybody needs one cheap- 100$, just spent the 600 for new style.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:58 pm
That looked a little familiar. When racing shifter karts my girlfriend, now wife, had two people stall in front of her on a standing start. She hit the back left tire of one and back right tire of the and launched just about straight up in the air. She came down right side up.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:09 pm
Lee Spuhler wrote:©JBR. yes a better head surround system is high on the list of up grades. Thanks for your observations, that's why I felt it was important to post this. So others would consider looking at their safety equipment.

I spent a week in the hospital about two years ago. It was not from racing and it was something that could not be anticipated. But that week my wife really needed me at home and I could not be there. I thought if I was not there some week for her because I choose to not spend an amount that is less than a set of tires to make my car as safe as it could be, I would feel terrible. I ordered the head surround when I got home.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
95, 950
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:39 am
brucemyers wrote:I treat TBI, traumatic brain injury- have had a surround for years, even with the double density foam a slight off at oaktree in the wet put me into the tire wall sideways and my video showed me to completely compress the padding and I did have a very mild concussion, next race I had the head surround.

I am selling that old style if anybody needs one cheap- 100$, just spent the 600 for new style.

Curious on your switch from the old (longer?) style to the new one. Safety or entry/exit issues or both? Is the padding different?

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:14 pm
installed the new surround earlier this year. Just like the HANS, it takes about a session or less to get used to it. The only negative for me is that I can't get my hand on the kill switch with HANS and helmet on. Always was a problem to keep the padding properly on the bars with the thick side inward, look around and u see a lot of cars with that issue. The surround looks a whole lot safer, hopefully we won't have to find out.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:00 am
tomkirchman wrote:
brucemyers wrote:I treat TBI, traumatic brain injury- have had a surround for years, even with the double density foam a slight off at oaktree in the wet put me into the tire wall sideways and my video showed me to completely compress the padding and I did have a very mild concussion, next race I had the head surround.

Curious on your switch from the old (longer?) style to the new one. Safety or entry/exit issues or both? Is the padding different?

I've got the longer Butler one (side pads extend half-way down the lateral cage tubes) and I've cut back the pads about 8" at the "far" end of the arms just to make access/egress easier. There is no benefit to having thick pads in a location where your head (if properly restrained) would never be.

Even with this mod, to get in/out, I need to lean toward the steering wheel (mine is not removable) and twist my shoulders 45 degrees to get out. In an emergency, there are tabs that rip out the padding.
Next

Return to General Discussions