Decision on Gen 2 Continuation??

All things specracer!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:17 pm
Gen2 is still in the top 5 classes and deserves to continue as a national class on numbers alone. Plenty of parts around now. Seems like a win for everybody.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:45 pm
Bob Devol wrote:I'm in GEN3 but I can totally agree with keeping SRF as a Majors class as long as the car counts comply with GCR minimums.

I went with GEN3 primarily because of the more reliable engine and superior weight distribution (a big factor). The fact that GEN2 would be eventually decertified for Majors competition had little to do with my decision.

So, if you have a GEN2 and want to continue to play in all Club Racing venues, don't go bitchin' here.

Send your emails to the Comp Board!

The solution reached was a compromise and by definition nobody is 100% happy with a compromise solution. SRF continues as a GCR Regional-Only class, but also may race in Majors and Runoffs badged as SRF3. With the exception of Runoffs where numbers and the facility and event schedule allowed separate SRF and SRF3 run groups, SRFs running with SRF3s elsewhere does not change. SRF continues to exist as a lower dollar entry level car with spec support from Enterprises. There is also class-within-a-class support and contingencies provided by Enterprises.

From a pure class participation and Majors entries perspective, keeping SRF a national class made sense. From a pure Enterprises perspective, selling more Gen 3 kits made more financial sense (and let's not forget that SCCA Inc, us, all 50-60K members, not just SRF/SRF3/FE drivers, are the ultimate owners of Enterprises responsible for that entity's financial viability). Going back to the original plan sold to BoD, SRF was to have gone away entirely at the end of the 3 year transition period. Where we are now is a reasonable compromise keeping the class and allowing competition in Majors and Runoffs.

On a purely personal note, I went to SRF3 because the car was so much more fun to drive and because that's where all the guys I race with were going (or already went!). The ability to race with other cars not just circulate like on a track day is why I'm in SRF.
Todd Butler
OR/SFR Region
Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:21 pm
Maybe I look at things differently but I really don't understand why someone would want to run a gen 2 against a gen 3. To me, that would be like someone wanting to compete in gen 3 with a plug wire pulled.

I am missing something??
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:30 pm
bdm wrote:Maybe I look at things differently but I really don't understand why someone would want to run a gen 2 against a gen 3. To me, that would be like someone wanting to compete in gen 3 with a plug wire pulled.

I am missing something??

You aren't. You are racing against other SRFs (1.9L) that are in the field. Just like today and last year and the year before that. Any SRF (1.9L) driver thinking he was actually racing a Gen 3 is either delusional or there are extenuating circumstances (wet race, poor Gen3 driver, mechanical, etc). Enterprises will be running a program for SRF (1.9L) awards separate from formal SCCA Club Racing SRF3 standings.
Todd Butler
OR/SFR Region

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:03 pm
The difference going forward will be the lack of a split start. The new strategy is to out qualify at least one Gen3 to get them between you and the rest of the 2's. On some tracks, you will be able to out qualify a tail end Gen3 that you would never be able to pass during the race. Mid-Ohio is a perfect example. Enough twiddly bits to bank some time that they can't gain back on the straights. But in the race, you can't pass them in the twiddlies and they outrun you down the straight.
Chances for more excitement...(and debris/flames, etc)

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:32 pm
pmiranda wrote:Gen2 is still in the top 5 classes and deserves to continue as a national class on numbers alone. Plenty of parts around now. Seems like a win for everybody.

Completely agree. Countless classes have persisted as National/Majors classes for years with miniscule car counts...taking a class with healthy numbers and demoting it is a poor decision. Yes, a Gen3 is more fun, better, etc....it's also $20K more expensive.
Previous

Return to General Discussions