2016 runoffs Mid-Ohio

All things specracer!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:14 am
I think that as far as the motor goes and considering potential new parts shortages I "believe" that Enterprise may not be doing engine rebuilds for the Gen2 after 2017, because it will not be an official class. Probably from a regional perspective you will be expected to conform to the last set of published rules less the engine seals. I don't remember, will the Gen2 be considered equal to the Gen3 after 2017 and run together? If so I'm not sure how compliance will be handled. That is just a guess, I have no inside information.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:51 am
In 2018 there will only be one class with both Gen2 and Gen3 specifications allowed. I assume that the expectation will be that Gen2 engines will still be sealed, but that's TBD depending on whether Enterprises wishes to continue to provide a rebuild program. In the
Renault days, I believe CSR's were allowed to R&R and seal motors, so that could be an option (though there were pretty good reasons why that didn't continue...) I expect, in reality, that most regions will offer an alternative class for Regional points purposes (e.g. we ran an "SR" class for a while in NorCal to allow drivers to "double-dip" on a weekend)
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:30 pm
After 2017 there will be a large number of gen2 engines sitting in the corner. That should create considerable inventory of those parts that are currently in short suppy. How to use them to keep gen2 cars on the track is what the SCCA, Enterprises and the regions should consider.

I think unless gen2 cars are made a regional only class some people will get frustrated and walk away or go off to other groups that will give them a place to race.

If enterprises is unwilling to continue to supply engines, publish some engine specs, allow unsealed engines (only engines) and create a class much like the IT cars. Keep the cars on the track not sitting in a garage.

I'm sure there is a thought at enterprises that they want to sell gen3 kits, but it would be better to sell parts to happy gen2 drivers than sell nothing at all.
It's better to be last on the grid at a race track, than have pole position at the Funeral Home.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:41 pm
Timing!!!

Thanks to some rather knowledgeable and forward thinking SCCA Inc Directors we have active discussions already underway now that we know much more than we did when the plan and rules for GEN3 were written. It looks like we will easily hit 85% conversion rate, but with 15% still "GEN2" (as many cars as all but a handful of other classes all by itself) we should offer a fair place for those competitors to race in some soon to be discussed fashion.
SCCA Enterprises can and will offer rebuilds past 2017, but I sure hope everyone who stays with the 1.9L enjoys unprecedentedly low powertrain costs from scavenging the likely 400 removed engines in the field. We want an official nation wide / GCR class, yes likely non-Majors, that will be under the same strict compliance rules as long as it exists.
Give the system a little time to work and the future plan will be presented long before the last season of an independent GEN2 class starts!
Erik
SCCA Enterprises

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:14 pm
Erik - Thanks for clearing up some of my mis-information! I think your post is over and above what some of us expected, good job.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:59 pm
Erik Skirmants wrote:Timing!!!

Thanks to some rather knowledgeable and forward thinking SCCA Inc Directors we have active discussions ......

Damn! We are not just good looking but some of us can think too????? :D

Todd Butler
17 more days as Area 13 Director, then paroled to "just a driver" again!
Todd Butler
OR/SFR Region
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:12 pm
Razors and blades, baby! Got to keep those remaining GEN2 "razors" supplied with "blades" (parts). It's a smart move. Not mention a good starting point for newbies who want to try a GEN2 before moving up to GEN3.

(Okay, I'll beat you guys to the punch -- "Spec Razors.")
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:18 pm
Todd SRF73 wrote:
17 more days as Area 13 Director, then paroled to "just a driver" again!

Whoa there, Bucko. By my count, it's 43 days. Leave early and you'll lose your vesting in the pension plan, the clothing allowances and the buckets of shrimp.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:40 pm
Dang Todd, I never realized that being an Area Director was such a lucrative position. Thanks for all of your hard work.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:56 pm
goolsbey wrote:In the past, as a guide only, Scca has limited the max # of cars on a track to 25 per mile. This would mean a limit of about 55 cars at Mid-Ohio. In 2015 there were about 40 gen 2's and 30 gen 3's at Daytona.

My guess is that there will be more entrants at Mid-Ohio in 2016. Assuming this happens, there has to be a point where they will either have to separate the two classes or limit the number of entries. I am aware they keep telling us there should be no anticipation of having separate races in 2016. However, at what point do they have to reconsider this position?

Personally, having over 70 cars at Mid-Ohio makes no sense to me, if we want to have competitive racing in both classes even if there were split starts. I would hate to see a race outcome determined by cars being lapped on a regular basis.

Is it reasonable to ask the board in advance of the 2016 racing season to give us an idea of how they would handle such a situation, so drivers know what to expect? In my mind limiting the number of qualified entrants is not in the best interest of SCCA nor our drivers.

Your thoughts!

Pat

Pat,

Saw your letter to CRB 18282 about Mid-O per your thoughts above. I expect the CRB to "punt" that one to Club Racing as the race organizer. Other than reviewing schedule and class combinations, CRB does not deal with accepting or rejecting entries to runoffs or cars/mile etc. And for the record neither does the BoD. That's all race organizers (Club Racing Department) and Chief Steward.

Personal opinion (since I will be off the BoD in 1 more month) is the number of entries will force separate SRF/SRF3 classes. Whether that results in other groups being combined to make room for separate SRF/SRF3 races or whether one or the other (SRF or SRF3) gets combined with somebody else is a whole 'nother issue. If there are enough entries in SRF and SRF3, it kind of forces their hand towards standalone SRF and SRF3 races (and forces some other, less well subscribed groups to be combined).

Typically the Runoffs schedule is developed and reviewed internally around July timeframe. Club Racing will be watching the number of entries closely to help figure out Runoffs races.

Regards,

Todd Butler
Soon to be ex-Area 13 Director
Todd Butler
OR/SFR Region
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions