Why Spec Racer Ford?

All things specracer!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:10 am
Hey guys, I've been interested in starting a road racing career. I'm 29 years old and my racing experience is in drag racing only, but I am a huge fan of sports car racing. I have done some research and it seems the best way for me to start would be in either Spec Miata or Spec Racer Ford. I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of each, so I was wondering why you guys chose SRF.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Ken

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:23 pm
I just joined SRF. My history is kart racing. I evaluated both quite a bit just two years ago. I think they both have a lot of appeal. I watch an occasional SM race and think it looks like a lot of fun to. Ultimately both classes have high numbers at any race that is well supported. For me it was very close to a coin flip. I think SRF won for me a number of reasons.

- Purpose built race car. I think this adds a lot including easier maintenance and repair
- CSR support. I have leaned on them for advice or parts at most races. That is great
- No chasing which model year is "the year"

I understand why people go with SM. For me, I am very happy with SRF. I do not regret or want to change my decision at all. These cars are fun to drive. I have had some great competition. I have had great support by both drivers and CSRs. I do some times think it would be nice to do both.
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type

Chassis:
724/454
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:33 pm
1) No matter how fast or slow you are, you will likely be racing folks for position.
2) The class is about racing hard, not just about going fast between the corners. It always amazes me how the whiz bang formula cars with wings and super sticky tires can go screaming down the straight, but then park it in the corners because they don’t know how to carry the momentum through the bends.
3) The cars are pretty reliable, so provided you don’t screw up big time, you will finish every race you start.
4) When you do screw up, the parts and talent to put a Spec Racer back together are readily available and certainly way more affordable than most other classes. If it is fixable at the track, your competitors will jump in and help you in every way possible to make the next session.
5) Since the cars are more reliable, you spend less race weekend time on the car and more time with the other drivers and watching the other races. Remember, we do this because it is fun!
6) It is relatively easy to prep a car for the next race. With even a small amount of mechanical skill, you can do it on your own.
7) The cars last forever, so if you buy one and end up not liking it, you can sell it for close to what you paid. What other class can say that!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:28 pm
Thanks for the replies. I really think I am leaning towards SRF over SM, mostly because of the purpose built race car aspect.

I'm also aware of the Gen 3 coming on board but I haven't found much info on cost. I'm guessing it is more economically sound to buy a used Gen 2 and upgrade it. What is the cost of the upgrade kit? I shouldn't have any problems doing the install myself.

Thanks again!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:44 pm
Here is a reason to go SRF over SM.
(unedited...sorry, but plenty of SM)

http://youtu.be/0d3zWYSkuIc
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:08 pm
Ken, i asked the same question last year, do a search , there were a ton of replies. I did buy a SRF and love it. You can pm or email me with any questions. I also drag raced a nhra stock elim, road racing is so much better.
Anthony Carbone Jr
SRF#16
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:51 pm
The best reason: It is a true, controlled spec class and independent of the size of your wallet!! Can't say that for SM.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:26 pm
I fully agree that the top reason to pick SRF over SM is parity due to the tightly controlled specs. I have driven three different SRFs (with widely varying pedigrees) and posted similar laps times in each. SCCA Enterprises builds and dyno tests our engines. If one makes too much power, Enterprises puts in a thicker head gasket and vice versa. The horsepower "window" is very narrow. I believe it is in the range of +- 1HP. The race stewards also know all of the common "non-compliance" areas in SRF and therefore the post-race scrutineering is very good. So again, great parity from the engine builder and strong compliance enforcement at the track. In fact, if you get two powertrain violations, you are banned from SRF for life.

In contrast, I have heard many stories about "special" and very expensive SM motors. I have also witnessed first hand, at the June Sprints, an SM come in from qualifying, immediately have its exhaust system removed, have a tarp thrown over the exhaust and then the whole system gets thrown into the trailer. In 12 years with an SRF, I have never seen any thing like that happen.

The parity in SRF will get even better with the Gen3. In May at Mid Ohio, the folks at Enterprises claimed that the first 13 production Gen3 engines were all within three-eighths of a horsepower on roughly 130 hp total. The class is just going to get faster and better.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:06 pm
If you're just starting out and don't expect to be in the top 5, I think the biggest difference in SRF and SM is your up-front cost. If you live close to a track, you can drive a SM there and avoid a tow rig and trailer and all the cost and effort that entails. I think it's also generally still true that a cheap SM is a bit less cost than a cheap SRF. Long term, you'll end up wanting a tow rig anyway, so I think the ease of working on an SRF is worth any cost difference, and you are probably much less likely to write off the purpose-built tube frame SRF chassis than a SM unibody.
Now, assuming you want to be in the top 5 someday, SRF is going to be cheaper. Yeah, you will need to keep up with updates and a really old engine will not help, but the performance difference at most tracks between the front runners and the back of the pack is way smaller in SRF. It's almost all talent. A few tracks favor a better motor, but you'll never know until you're good enough to be in the draft out of the corner with the fast guys.
Of course, alot of folks enjoy tinkering with the car at least as much as driving it, and in that department SM and even more so the production classes are going to provide more to do. Personally I don't have that much free time so I'd rather be driving than tinkering.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:16 am
Thanks for all the replies. Anthony, I found your old thread and it was very helpful. I really think I'm going to go SRF. One big turnoff of SM is simply how slow that car is.

From what I gather, the Gen 3 upgrade kit is about $10,000. Is that correct?

Thanks again,

Ken
Next

Return to General Discussions