Novice Typer

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 12:59 am
Saturday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ws9grOMUuo

Sunday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EyPA6Kkw90

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 1:13 am
Is the short-shifting part of some strategy? You were doing it at Hallett as well.
Novice Typer
Novice Typer

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:05 pm
I'm on the H-pattern so there's a corner where I'm shifting to avoid having to shift in the middle of the corner. But other than that, no, it's just that I'm not as good with an H-pattern shifter as most are - still relatively new to this whole racing thing (with real cars, anyway).

If only the SADEV wasn't on backorder... (I've already made my deposit)

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:34 am
Got it. You still need to make use of the full rev range regardless of h-pattern or SADEV. Try to shift just before the soft limiter. You won't hurt anything. Otherwise you're leaving quite a bit on the table.
Novice Typer
Novice Typer

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:13 am
I'm told that if you hit the rev limiter the ECU goes into some protection mode where you don't get full power for some number of seconds afterwards. Is that not accurate? Are you in fact able to bounce it off the limiter and not get penalized for it beyond the fact you're not accelerating when you do that?

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 9:03 pm
If you over rev it it will definitely cut the power for a few seconds. What Jisu is saying is use up all the revs not over rev the motor. You can just ever so briefly go over without killing the power but it's a very fine line.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 1:26 am
I'll tell you what. Next time you go out on a practice session, gradually accelerate and buzz the soft limiter on purpose and see what it feels like. You get to a soft limiter just before getting on the hard limiter. Bang off the hard limiter to see what it feels like. You'll get the hang of getting close for every shift in no time. This exercise will be easier in third gear of higher.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 1:33 am
In my experience, the answer to your question is that there is no "time out" period after you hit the limiter (soft or hard) where the ECU hobbles the engine. Just shift or crack your throttle foot, whatever is appropriate and everything is immediately normal.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 3:54 pm
To Jisu's point,
there is a "soft cut" and then a "hard cut" (timing retard then fuel cut). The soft cut is fine, the hard cut is painful.
The perfect shift is just buzzing the soft cut (I call them the buzz and the brap... buzz good, brap bad :)).
Hope that helps!
Novice Typer

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:30 pm
Okay, that's exactly the context I need I think. I'll get to play around with that this weekend at Houston, assuming I manage to remember anything in the heat. :mrgreen:
Next

Return to Video Links