GEN3 PPIR Testing

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!
Former Specracer National Champion
Former Specracer National Champion
Chassis:
247-1
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:53 pm
Another GEN3 teaser from my PPIR efi test day last Friday, PPIR is a 1 mile banked oval with a 5 turn infield for 1.3 mile lap. The infield is second & third gear, fun and flowing.
It was open test before a drivers school weekend, about 10 cars running and many people walked by a made comments…”WOW that looks much faster than normal SRF” “It sure sounds cool” one guy walked up asked “is that a super bike engine” Great fun !
I was done with my tuning for the day, there were some people there I trust to drive my car, I let 4 guys try the GEN3. Some comments were “Much better than a 1.9” “Gosh I would race a SRF now, better balance and sounds mean” “ I had to really be careful with the throttle” “Gosh the banking isn’t flat anymore, neat” These came from national level drivers that have raced or driven a 1.9 in the past.

So the teaser, 4 or 5 laps of video during my last session…I mounted the GoPro on the side pod to try a get the engine sound and not the wind noise. Listen to the throttle control or lack of a couple of times. Most of the turns are done @ 60 to 80% throttle; grip is the limiting factor not power. They have never raced PPIR backwards, but Bill Jucha and I had a very spirited battle a couple of years ago over a double national race weekend, with cool weather we lowered the old lap record by about a second to a 1:05.1 I believe.
I was told, backwards is about 1.5 seconds a lap slower. The slowest lap in the video1:04.4 and quickest was 1:03.85 on 20+ heat cycle tires. During that race weekend new tires were worth just over a second. Top end with the 1.9 was 108 to 110 MPH and the Gen3 116 to 117 MPH. The banking wasn’t easy flat anymore, a bit of a challenge really.

https://vimeo.com/63089798

Just for fun I stopped at the infield exit and made a couple of mock quarter mile acceleration runs, with lots of wheel spin, not able to use full throttle in first gear. The1325’ ended at about a forth of the way around the bank. One was 13.9 and the other 14.0. I thought that seems disappointing, until I used the standard NHRA altitude correction factor for 5400’. It comes out to about 12.85, If on a real grippy drag strip I bet there is 2 to 3 tenths to be gained, those are beginning to be pretty respectable performance numbers. Not that we want to be drag racers, just a measure that everyone understands.

If you guys don’t think this is a challenge, think again ! But it sure is Fun and that is the reason we all race a SRF !

Mike D
Mike Davies
SCCA Enterprises

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:00 am
So now I am going to get drifters wanting cars. I was wondering if you were driving with one hand like the COTA video. Glad your finally having some fun now after all the work you have put into this project. Continue on & good job buddy, but remember one ah shit wipes out ten atta boys.

Return to Spec Racer Gen3