GEN3 Impressions Please

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:23 am
When are the 12 kits that were set to be making the rounds going to sent out and which shops are going to have them?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:21 am
Todd, you raised an interesting point. If the Portland "muffler" only drops to 98db, that may be marginal for the 101 window at Laguna Seca (the SRF today without muffler can make 101 if you're careful), and we will definitely need a new muffler system at Laguna to hit the 90db window we traditionally run-in (not sure how easy the current design with fit with the Laguna mufflers we use today and whether it would be quiet enough.0

At 101db it could also be marginal for 103db windows under certain atmospheric conditions so it may be necessary to have a stock muffler (Portland version?) just to be safe. Not sure of the best solution, but in the Renault days we had a Supertrapp setup that allowed for "fine-tuning" for various sound windows that may be an option vs. multiple mufflers, though our situation at 90db at Laguna Seca may be unique.

Erik/Mike: Are meeting these sound requirements on your "to-do" list?
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Former Specracer National Champion
Former Specracer National Champion
Chassis:
247-1
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:58 pm
Bob / Everyone

I will be running the Gen 3 at the Sprints this coming weekend...we will get an accurate sound reading at Road America…we have a lot of sound data from RA, I think it will give us a pretty good direction as to what we will need to do if anything at all.

The car makes a higher pitch noise more like a FF, I don’t think it is much louder, just different type of sound.

I’m currently talking with a couple of higher end Exhaust companies about a custom muffler for the Gen 3. I know some tracks require a low sound limit, but I need to gather some noise level data before I can continue with the Exhaust people.

I like the sound and everyone that hears the car run, says it sounds much better.

As for as the12 R&D kits go…we are a little bit behind, we turned in the engine PO to Ford early January I believe. It’s been a little bit of a challenge getting the whole process set up within Ford and Enterprises with Ford.
Right now Ford can sell every 1.6 Duratec engine that they build in Brazil engine plant. This is a worldwide use engine, which is really good for us as they build and sell a lot of them. The original engine delivery EST. was late may / early June, It’s been bumped to early July.

We have about 95% of all the conversion parts in stock…So I feel really good about that, But I have to build 11 more EFI harnesses…Not so happy about that.

The first R&D kit was shipped the end of last week…by the end of this week we should have 2 running examples of a GEN 3.

The rest of the kits will be shipped as we Receive, Prep and a Dyno engines, my guess at this point is the end of July time frame.

This has been a monumental task, plus we are still 18 months from when the GEN 3 is a legal class. My goal is to have as many of the wrinkles ironed out before the release of the conversion kits. The engine in my car has around 130 /135 track / dyno hours run on pump gas, Not one issue to date….knock on wood. It’s had the bottom end opened up and inspected a couple of times and I feel really good about the reliability to this point.

I’m optimistic that the R&D kits will be as trouble free as mine…time will tell.
Mike Davies
SCCA Enterprises

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:02 pm
applause can be heard.
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:59 pm
Gen3 looks sweet. Im new to srf but would like to upgrade when the kit is ready.
Anthony Carbone Jr
SRF#16

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:54 pm
Hello Mike/Erik,

Wondering how close the engines are on the dyno that you have tested so far right out of the box (crate)?

Thanks

Mark
Mark
Dinosaur Racing
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:29 am
Mark,

Too soon to tell; only two samples. But the FE engines (a distant cousin of the engine that is GEN3) are closer engine to engine than the current 1.9L before tuning. Right now focus is on the R&D samples of exhaust and intake performing as well as the one off prototypes Mike made. Exhaust is looking great, intake is a work in progess. That is why you all have to wait... they will be as good or better than the 1.9L is now equality wise.
Erik
SCCA Enterprises
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:39 am
Great stuff, Mike.

If that 40.8 is from Brian (which would be his fastest lap of the race Sunday), then I can tell you definitively that it shows 3 straightaways of full on drafting top speed for Gen2. :)

Too bad on the muffler, but it is what it is...
Keep up the great work!
Denny

Return to Spec Racer Gen3