GEN3 Impressions Please

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:03 am
pmiranda wrote:
Bob Devol wrote:
pmiranda wrote:Test day sessions were 30 minutes (Although at least one had a red flag on Wed.)

Wow, if it's 30-minute test sessions at CoTA, then the fuel mileage is really good. That comes to about 13 minutes per gallon on a track that I can reasonably compare to The Glen regarding WOT time.

At The Glen, my car gets roughly 9.4 - 9.7 minutes run time per gallon.

So, the question to Mike is -- did you burn 2.3 gallons for full 30-minute runs at racing speed?

If you want to compare apples, limes, and tomatoes... At TWS a couple years back I ran a 2:01.6 w/ 82% time on full throttle, and at CoTA last Wednesday I ran a 2:41.8 w/ 75% time on full throttle. No idea how much time the Gen3 spends at full throttle running laps at CoTA, but that might tell you a little something about the nature of the track. Those are just average test laps from the middle of the pack on my ~5 year old engine. If you like spreadsheets maybe you can make something out of that :-)

For sure, it's going to take a lot more real world data scraping to come up with a true fuel mileage estimate/average. As a portable rule of thumb, I've used 10 minutes run time-per-gallon as an average for the 1.9-liter engine. Obviously, the more WOT time (say WOT?) the more fuel burned.

For instance, at Pocono with its long straights the number gets down close to 9 minutes. At New Hampshire, where we never use 5th gear, it starts banging up into the 11-minutes range. Lime Rock comes in at roughly 10 minutes.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:55 pm
Several long, hard, braking zones at CoTA definitely eat into the overall time at WOT. Also, the esses are a lengthy segment and you don't spend a whole of lot of time WOT in them, either (again, thank you, Tilke!) >:)
Former Specracer National Champion
Chassis:
247-1
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:58 pm
Hey guys
Just FYI this is what 1.6 VS 1.9 Speed trace looked like from COTA...easy to tell which is which.
I made about .5 of misstakes on that lap, (could have been about 2:30.7) but one of the very few laps that I didn't pass a car somewhere that hurt the lap time. Top speed on the back straight was 127.4 MPH. If you can pick out the long triple apex right, it is easy to see why it wasn't flat with the 1.6

I'm going to cut a little piece of Video from Sat Race 1 tonight and will post it tomorrow or so
You will see how easy I was driving in the race, still very fun and even more fun when we have a group of GEN 3's running..! You may hear the mid range miss fire...:( Made it hard to use 3rd gear momentum.
Attachments
1.6VS1.9_COTA.JPG
This is a 2:31.3 1.6 Lap VS 2:37.1 1.9 Lap
1.6VS1.9_COTA.JPG (29.31 KiB) Viewed 13524 times
Mike Davies
SCCA Enterprises
Chassis:
247-1
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:50 pm
3 or 4 laps of GoPro video from the GEN3 Saturdays race 1 camera was on top of my head

https://vimeo.com/62300862
Mike Davies
SCCA Enterprises

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:49 am
Mike - that video is about all the marketing we'll need!

There's no way that we can all fully appreciate just how much you've put into every aspect of the new car. Thank you so much for leading us through this. No offense to anyone out there, but I just dont think that anybody could have done a better job with this than you have.

Looks like the Gen3 will leave you sore...either in the wrist, from all the waving, or in the face due to the perma-grin. Thanks Mike!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:09 am
Okay, Mike -- you were having way too much fun in that video. Also, good job of respecting the other guys' dices and an interesting point of view on the race itself. Thanks!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:52 am
<like> Just the sound alone will sell some conversions! And the power on correction at 7:something on to the front straight!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:24 pm
Kurt, Lets talk about your Trans rebuilds first, what was broken and then fixed. I raced in the SE for years so I'm very familiar with the tracks in that area of the country. Most guys in the SE can get in the range of 40 to 50 events out of a gear box, if you change the fluid regularly and lift a little when you drop a wheel off edge of the asphalt and drive back on. Do you use a OEM type clutch?
In the last phew years there has been a couple different series of parts and if missed matched in a gear box, the life is pretty short. Do you think that is what happened to one of your gear boxes? Anyway shock loads or fatigue, heat and contamination are what shortens the life of our gear boxes.

For the first replacement, 4th gear broke at Road Atlanta in July. For the next tranny, the mainshaft (I think) bearing was destroyed, again at Road Atlanta in December. I think turn 1 at Road Atlanta is a real test of the tranny, since it's a high speed/high load turn. The clutch I use is whatever came in the car.
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494
Chassis:
247-1
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 pm
Hey guys just another piece of GEN3 info…3 or 4 people have asked and I have the EFI close enough to give an answer….
At the last test, Erik was driving the GEN3 very close to lap record pace with an avg of 78% full throttle per lap.
Pueblo is @ 4900 feet of elevation a 2.15 mile road course… 88 MPH avg. 2ed gear 2 times and no 5th per lap.
Erik was settled in and running very consistently…I filled the car and Erik ran 2 sessions for a total of 31 laps / 67 miles or 53 minutes on track with an extra in and out lap, compared to one long session.
It took right @ 3.5 gals of fuel to refill the car. I’m using the hash marks on the 5 gal fuel jug so I could be off a quart one way or the other.
The GEN3 achieved about 19.1 MPG @ 4900 feet, remember the tune is about 16% leaner than sea level. A quart of fuel one way or the other would put it 17.8 to 20.5 MPG, either way it’s very good. I will guess and say we should be in the 15 MPG range @ sea level. Time will tell…..
Mike Davies
SCCA Enterprises

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:11 pm
never thought I'd see these words in the same sentence: "Erik + lap record pace"
PreviousNext

Return to Spec Racer Gen3