Orange Tape on Gen3 Rollbar

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:36 am
I was curious and asked Nikki LaRue at Enterprises last week about our orange tape requirement on our Gen3 top roll bar and she told me it is no longer required starting in 2018.
Wondered how many have removed already and what happens in a regional race where we are mixed in with Gen2's? Mine is now removed but my first race will be the VIR Majors.
Thanks!
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:54 am
How about yellow tape on the gen2? Going down the straight and see yellow tape you know what speed differential to expect. (Bump draft not recommended)
It's better to be last on the grid at a race track, than have pole position at the Funeral Home.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:56 pm
I am not sure if yellow would be the right choice I would also says switch the tape, with Gen 2 running the orange. There will be less cars in Gen 2 now so having them stand out would be the way to go. This is coming from my flagging background, of course people might get confused if the 2 and 3's switched who had tape on them.

A good blue flagger should be able to keep track of the field and know where the fast and slow traffic is, but the tape for sure helps especially when the Gen 3 started showing up.

As someone who is starting out this year behind the wheel and with a Gen 2 what stands out when you are following a car? Do your eyes actually look on the roll hoop? I think for myself I was going to do the traditional X on the back like when I was starting in karts.
Chris B
Chicago Region
Flagging and Communications / Emergency Services

Good chance you have seen me waving flags like a crazy person at some point.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:37 am
So far this season, we've run split starts in the SF Region to mitigate start issues, which are more of an issue, IMHO, especially between fast Gen2 drivers and slower Gen3 drivers. That spreads out the field pretty quickly and coming up later in the race on Gen2's is pretty obvious with the closing speed. Frankly, the muffler setup is a pretty decent giveaway (though closing speed is a pretty decent clue), and really only relevant if coming up on backmarkers in either class. Oh, and it's pretty difficult to tell in the rain either way!
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Return to Spec Racer Gen3