What is the plug type for power/ ground to the data system?

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:27 am
Hi
The new gen3 harness G1190501 has a plug that can be used to power the data logger (an EVO4 in my case). It looks like the same type of plug that the fuel pump uses. Does anyone know what the mating plug is? The manual refers to it as a Molex 2 position plug but they look more like Deutsch connectors to me.

Thanks
Mike
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:26 am
It's not a Deutsche plug (those are screw on). It's a round 4-pin connector with a rotating plastic cap that locks the connection in place. We got the ECU side plug w/pre-wired cable connection to the EVO4S from our AIM dealer (http://www.veracitydata.com). You can also get just the plug-end if you're handy with soldering in fine wire connections to an existing DA cable.

A detailed wiring diagram is available here: http://www.aim-sportline.com/download/e ... 00_eng.pdf

Here's a link to an older article in specracer.com:

viewtopic.php?t=1559
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:52 pm
Thanks. I got the one Veracity sells to transmit data. Does it provide power to the Aim? I thought I needed to provide 12 v to the wire coming out of the side of the EVO4. The new main chassis harness is pre-wired to power a DAQ but I need to find the mating plug. The plug I'm trying to use is shown in the lower right corner of Fig 32 (pg 38) of the AccelRaceTek Harness schematic. It is the same 2 prong plug that is used for the fuel pump.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:46 am
As I recall, the AIM EVO4 is powered independently of the CAN connection. On my MXL, the only wires actually used on the 4 pin harness are pins 1 & 2 per the diagram I referenced for CAN High and CAN Low. I believe that's the same way we wired the EVO4S. I don't recall using anything from the ECU harness to power the DA system, though I suppose that's possible.

Since the ignition off also turns off the ECU, we wanted to access to the AIM system with ignition off and master on, so we powered the AIM pre-ignition swith, and with an independent switch in the event we needed to cycle the power to the AIM without turning off the ignition (an issue we had with the EVO4S that appeared to be caused by voltage drop when starting the Gen3, freezing the data output to the AIM dash.)
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:08 pm
We power our dashes off the hot side of ignition switch, so they work when the ignition is off...
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:17 pm
There is power on the data connector -- the original spec for the Gen3 indicated that it didn't have enough current (100mA I believe) to be used for a Dash, so we always kept the power separate. However, we can wire power there if you wish.

The pinout for the connector is:

Pin1 CAN LO
Pin2 CAN HI
Pin3 +12V
Pin4 Ground

Note that the pin numbers are molded into the plastic connector and are in a criss-cross pattern.
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:33 pm
A picture is worth 1000 words, so I've attached a pic. This plug is attractive to me because it is connected to the switched side of the master through a 5 A fuse.

I'm ~75% done with the conversion and it seems like I already have half a dozen circuits coming off the switched side of the mater. If I use the existing plug that's one less connection at the mater.
Attachments
data logger plug 2.jpg
Gen3 data plug power
data logger plug 2.jpg (69.54 KiB) Viewed 11982 times
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:28 am
The mating housing is Molex 33481-0201. You'll also need connectors e.g. 33000-1002 (depends on wire guage and plating). Wish I had this info before I bought Deutsch connectors. I did a quick survey and saw several different styles, Molex, Deutsch, crimp, no-name nylon on the gen3 harness. Seems like a pretty challenging harness to put together.

Return to Spec Racer Gen3