Gen 3 Engine removal procedure

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:38 am
Have the new Clutch in now, Thanks Nikki and Mike. Plan to hit the track for the first time next week if all goes well.

Just posted a pic of the new disk on Spec Racer Ford Facebook..
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/RaceVoiceLLC/
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:55 am
It came out in one piece - minus transmission. I saw this done at NJ in a garage so I figured I would try it.
I think it can go back in with the intake attached, may just use some foam to protect it a bit?

Upgrading to new clutch to try to be nicer to my transmission

IMG_4723.JPG
IMG_4723.JPG (100.77 KiB) Viewed 12891 times
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:56 am
GSR00 wrote:Have the new Clutch in now, Thanks Nikki and Mike. Plan to hit the track for the first time next week if all goes well.

Just posted a pic of the new disk on Spec Racer Ford Facebook..

and how did the new clutch work out? less shock to the transmission? nearly everyone I know is rebuilding their transmission now after the season.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:19 pm
sspano01 wrote:It came out in one piece - minus transmission. I saw this done at NJ in a garage so I figured I would try it.
I think it can go back in with the intake attached, may just use some foam to protect it a bit?

Upgrading to new clutch to try to be nicer to my transmission

IMG_4723.JPG

There are a lot of things you might see in a NJ garage that you would not want to try. You're a brave man. (I found the fit between the intake and the firewall so tight, I'd be scared to yank the engine with the intake on. But the lazy bastard in me would win out.)
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:47 pm
Greg-Cirillo wrote: There are a lot of things you might see in a NJ garage that you would not want to try.

That's an OMFG right there :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:06 pm
You can remove engine with trans attached fairly easily. I would NOT do that with the intake attached. The hardest thing for me was removing the alternator. I must have struggled for over an hour with that
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:14 am
jp101 wrote:You can remove engine with trans attached fairly easily. I would NOT do that with the intake attached. The hardest thing for me was removing the alternator. I must have struggled for over an hour with that

I might remove intake and try to reinstall with transmission attached - just to see how that works out.
Alternator is a pain - I used three extensions and my air ratchet to get the bolt out
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:53 am
sspano01 wrote:
jp101 wrote:
I might remove intake and try to reinstall with transmission attached - just to see how that works out.

You can indeed install the engine with transmission attached using an engine leveler on the end of your engine crane. This allows you to remove and insert the engine/trans unit at an acute angle and then crank it in between the left side frame rails.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:12 am
sspano01 wrote:
jp101 wrote:You can remove engine with trans attached fairly easily. I would NOT do that with the intake attached. The hardest thing for me was removing the alternator. I must have struggled for over an hour with that

Alternator is a pain - I used three extensions and my air ratchet to get the bolt out

If you weld a little piece of metal on the long alternator bolt to keep it from rotating so you don't need to put a tool on it...you'll find it is much easier to install or remove. I can't take a picture until (hopefully never) I have to remove it!
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:56 pm
steve kramer wrote:If you weld a little piece of metal on the long alternator bolt to keep it from rotating so you don't need to put a tool on it...you'll find it is much easier to install or remove. I can't take a picture until (hopefully never) I have to remove it!

Perhaps like the picture that Schacht posted here:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1798&p=12309&hilit=alternator#p12309

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww32 ... C287C3.jpg
PreviousNext

Return to Spec Racer Gen3