#$@@%!!! Miserable Muffler

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:19 am
Spent way to much time trying to take the end off my muffler. Not the first time it's been off but was a real @#%%^! taking it off this time.

Would really be nice if we could just make a rule that everyone has to run without packing.

What is everyone using? I've tried fiberglass and ceramic matting so far and both didn't last long. Going to try stainless steel wool this next event. Hoping it lasts a little longer but it's a lot more money.

Can't believe GT1 cars pass sound but we can't without a muffler?

Anyone found an easy way of removing the aluminum cap/end? Mine is looking pretty rough already. Using a screwdriver and hammer to separate it now.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:38 am
Enterprises stocks the correct packing material. Part number is WM301040C.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:58 pm
After you get the muffler apart, I put antisieze on it so it comes off easier next time. ( I said easier... ) I also mark one of the holes so I make sure it goes together the same way.

Steel wool went away very fast for me. Enterprises packing lasts longer.

Also, I have safety wired or used two tywraps from the part that goes through the rubber donut up to the vertical frame post to keep the tail pipe attached to the muffler. I have had mine come off twice but after attaching it the above way, it has been on for several races.
Mick Robinson

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:13 pm
Thanks for the replies. Didn't know there was a part number for the packing material. It'll be on order tomorrow.

What about a rule stating everyone needs to run without it? Seems to make a lot more sense.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:27 am
trakmnky wrote:What about a rule stating everyone needs to run without it? Seems to make a lot more sense.

I agree, with the only exceptions being in the case of strict track-imposed sound limits such as at Laguna.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:42 am
I think there is a different muffler spec-ed for tracks like that.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:31 pm
Be sure to wet the fiberglass before packing it into the muffler housing and pack it tight. The FE guys have had to deal with this type of muffler and packing material since that car came out. So I don't see why it needs to be an issues for the SRF guys. Besides my ears don't ring as much after driving my car with the muffler.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:53 pm
breton wrote:Enterprises stocks the correct packing material. Part number is WM301040C.

The GCR doesn't quote this part number nor does it specify packing. All it says about the regular muffler is "Standard Muffler Kit G1190523 (including Standard Muffler P/N 390523) is required for all events."

So does that mean that the packing material is open? Optional?

Does it bother anyone else that we are blowing out wads of glass fiber into each other's faces. I suppose it's another reason to run up front.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:07 pm
Greg-Cirillo wrote:
breton wrote:Enterprises stocks the correct packing material. Part number is WM301040C.

The GCR doesn't quote this part number nor does it specify packing. All it says about the regular muffler is "Standard Muffler Kit G1190523 (including Standard Muffler P/N 390523) is required for all events."

So does that mean that the packing material is open? Optional?

Does it bother anyone else that we are blowing out wads of glass fiber into each other's faces. I suppose it's another reason to run up front.

There's not much info, but I'd really be interested to see if that is why Mr. White was relieved of his position on the finish of the Runoffs this year.

Return to Spec Racer Gen3