Aim EVO4 and Mychron3 Dash

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:55 pm
OK, first of all I appreciate all the help I can get on these tech items, as my expertise is about as limited as you can have.

I have decided to upgrade my AIM to take advantage of the information available from the ECU. I have purchased a new EVO4 and a Mcychron3 dash as the dash is similar to what I have used before.

I have downloaded the latest version of race studio 2 on my windows 7 computer, purchased and installed the proper ECU cable from AIM and wired the EVO4 correctly (separate switched). So far so good!

Now the hard part. My goal for now is to configure basic information including hooking up the GPS option. The basic information that I want on my Mychron3 Dash is of course RPM and Lap times.

In addition I would like the display to show the following:

A. engine water temp
B. engine oil pressure
C. A/F converted from Lambda
D. Fuel Pressure

Of course I would like to have voltage etc available but I am limited to 4 displayed items (I believe). I assume this information can be downloaded separately.

Now can someone give me the down and dirty easiest way to achieve my goals?

Are any of these items preconfigured on studio 2 for our specific ECU?

Do I need to configure the tire size for the speed sensor used on the trany?

Are there range configuration for such items as oil pressure, fuel pessure or water temp?

Does there have to be a math configuration for the Lambda conversion and if so how do I go about that?

Where is the best place to mount the GPS antenna and any suggestion relating to the need to configuration it?

Ok, I know I am asking for allot of information upfront, but I believe it's best to ask now, rather than
the total frustration that might be foreseen.

Thanks Pat
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:20 pm
I'm not familiar with the EVO4, but installed an MXL2 when I did my conversion and setup was pretty straight forward. If an offline phone chat might help, just let me know Pat. Maybe we can work through it all and then post the results back for inquiring minds.
Dan

Formerly Teamwork Motorsports #99, Chassis #460

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:34 pm
Pat,

I installed the EVO4 with a G-Dash display. Should be the same set up. Like Dan said, probably easier to explain on the phone. Email me at pheteplace (at) aol (dot) com if you want to set up a time to talk.

DaveP
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:56 pm
All the ECU sensors are configured from Studio; just select the SCCA Enterprises ECU and Spec Racer Ford G3 configuration and you'll see all the available data points prefixed with SRF, including RPM and my favorite, throttle position, plus all the engine parameters like oil/water temp, fuel/oil pressure, Lambda, TPS, voltage, etc. I didn't bother converting Lamda (.88 is what you want at full throttle) must an alarm on low numbers since I've had the O2 sensor connection failed and the car will run like ****. The ranges are all preconfigured, but you can alter in Studio if you want to compress or extend (e.g. MPH now goes to 140... :D

When you configure GPS, you'll also see all the GPS options including speed, lat/long G. I would use the GPS for speed rather than the transmission option (which you can use but will want to configure the tire diameter). That feature is mostly to support a speed limiter and IMHO the GPS is better.

In Studio you can build math channels for conversion if you want (e.g. Lambda to AF ratio). You can't get those to display on the dash, though. The main configurations I rely on are the alarms to ensure that I'm aware if I have a temp issue, especially a drop in voltage that indicates a lost belt.

I have my GPS mounted (magnetic) to the main left front frame rail just after the front front firewall and have never had an issue with signal pickup.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:57 am
Thanks again everyone. I will give it a shot and if needed will contact you.

Pat

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:52 pm
I'm about to do the same with my evo4. Any pictures showing the proper ECU Canbus/OBD connection-cable would be appreciated.
Scott Cypher
SRF3 #577 G3
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:45 pm
From the EVO4, you'll need a CAN-BUS cable like this:

http://shop.veracitydata.com/collection ... -ecu-cable

I believe if you contact Dave Ferguson directly at the above site that he has a cable already made up with the proper connectors and CAN-BUS termination built in.

As I recall, I got the proper connector between this cable and the ECU CAN connector from Enterprises (called DATA SYSTEM in the documentation on page lviii/37.) I needed to build out the pin connectors on the AIM side (only two for CAN+ and -) and add a 100ohm resistor to terminate the CAN Bus signal.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:14 pm
Scott I had Veracity make up a cable for me and it plugs right in.

At first, I did have some problems attaching it to the ECU connection. You need to make sure it is oriented correctly and that it is fully engaged before you twist it on. I was about to give up on it, but found it wasn't quite fully engaged.

The photo that Bob includes, shows 5 wires. The one that came with my Evo4 also had 5 wires but it was to be used for the RPM connection protocol. The one you need is for Can. It also comes with 5 wires but one of the wires has to have a + on it and Verocity won't have to use all such wires when they complete the change. The cable also must have a resister as mentioned by Bob.

Pat

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:07 am
Thanks. I'm at in Bobs situation; I have the cable from my collection of aim acquisitions (if someone needs a sensor, I likely have extras). But was a unsure how to best connect to the ecu...
Scott Cypher
SRF3 #577 G3
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:41 am
If you need specific wiring information to do-it-yourself, here's a thread that covered the topic.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1559&p=10804&hilit=Gen3+AIM+cable#p10804
Next

Return to Spec Racer Gen3