Clutch adjustment

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:18 pm
The manual say "Set the pedal stop about 1/8 “ to 3/16” past where the clutch releases". Are people adjusting so bolt is 1/8 - 3/16" from stop, or adjust so the pedal travels 1/8" to 3/16" after release.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:01 pm
Help from anyone that has set their clutch?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:12 am
As I recall, that measurement is set at the stop. Pedal travel to release is 3.3 inches.

That said, it's been a year since I did it -- someone else please confirm this!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:31 am
Have someone in the car to operate the clutch. Adjust travel stop on top on the pedal. You may need to put in a slightly longer bolt for the stop adjustment with the Gen3. Push the car with the clutch pedal depressed. If you feel the clutch grabbing, put in a bit more travel (for more release) and try again. The pedal travel should be adjusted just slightly beyond where you feel the clutch grabbing when fully depressed (and rolling).

DaveP

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:11 pm
Disconnect the clutch master cylinder plunger from the top of your clutch pedal and measure the travel distance from rest to the screw stop in the master cylinder bracket assembly. If it's more than 3.3", adjust it accordingly. To be on the safe side, I set mine at 2.5" to ENSURE that I didn't overstroke the throwout bearing during initial adjustment. After setting that as a guide, perform the step mentioned earlier of having someone slowly depress the clutch as another person tries to roll the car. When the car first starts to roll, without further depressing the clutch pedal, measure the distance from the top of the pedal to the stop and set to be 1/8 - 3/16". This is the safe approach.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:44 am
Got mine adjusted this weekend. It was pretty much exactly as the conversion manual stated: just put the car in gear and roll it until the clutch releases, then set the stop 1/8" to 3/16" beyond that. The hard part is getting a small scale in there to measure the 1/8" to 3/16". One other note: the locking nut on the stop can only be loosened with a deep well socket and you can only get that in there with the pedal removed and the clutch plunger disconnected and set aside. My stop screw was slightly rusted into the threads and the locking nut didn't turn easily by hand, so I had to take it out and clean and lubricate it with some WD40 before I would be able to turn the locking nut with my fingers. I got mine set at 1/8" and that felt good enough, so I left it there.

Return to Spec Racer Gen3