How many cylinders do I have???

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:26 am
Seems like it should be fairly obvious doesn't it? :mrgreen:

I'm using a Traqmate system with the traq dash and was wondering how many cylinders I should have it set to?

Tried 4 and it seems like I might be reading twice as many R's as I should be. Tried 8 and that doesn't seem correct either.

I don't have an external tach I can connect so was hoping someone else did and was using a Traqmate.

Can I connect a laptop to the ECU and read the correct RPM there? Just received my cable so will be looking into that tomorrow.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:43 am
Gen 3? just confirming as your question is answered in the assembly manual...
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:49 am
Wow, I have the same system and it has been reading RPM perfectly, set on 4-cylinders, right from the get-go. Get in touch with Glenn Stephens at Traqmate. He'll have the answers for you.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:18 am
I don't know that it's not reading correctly.

If you have a traqmate and it's set on 4 cyl and reading correctly then it must be right. That's what I was looking for someone that was already running a gen 3 with a traqmate.

It just didn't sound correct and it seems like every race car I've had I had to set it on something else. Over the years that have been several cars and different data systems though.

Thanks for the verification and yes they've been excellent on the support side!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:44 am
trakmnky wrote:I don't know that it's not reading correctly.

If you have a traqmate and it's set on 4 cyl and reading correctly then it must be right. That's what I was looking for someone that was already running a gen 3 with a traqmate.

It just didn't sound correct and it seems like every race car I've had I had to set it on something else. Over the years that have been several cars and different data systems though.

Thanks for the verification and yes they've been excellent on the support side!

To clarify, I run my Traqmate system with Traqdash set on 4-cylinders on my GEN3. I also still have my analog gauges running (my Traqdash is steering wheel mounted) and my analog tach agrees with the Traqdash readout at idle.

Could it be that your dash is displaying the correct revs but your engine idle is running too high? Hmmm...a vacuum leak, perhaps?

Take a look at how you have your two throttle body gaskets installed. Do you have the metal gasket facing the intake manifold side with the blue paper gasket on the throttle body side? If not, the gaskets will suck in some external air and the engine will start and idle at about 1,600 RPM. (Want to know how I know? Don't ask.)

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:46 am
Bob,

Thanks for the advice as that sounds like what it's doing. I'll take a look at it this weekend.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:14 pm
Hey, how'd that work out for you? Did you check the throttle body's gasket stack?

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:06 am
Bob,

I set it back to 4 cylinders and it's idling around 1000rpm now. It's been really cold here and the tune that is in our ecu's doesn't seem to like the cold much at all so it's still hard to tell as the idle isn't much of an idle.

Was planning on double checking the reading I'm getting with another tach but have been busy with a bunch of other issues.

Will know more soon and have something to compare it against this next weekend.

Thanks,

Return to Spec Racer Gen3