Gen3 first startup problem

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:04 pm
I had the same problem today as I was about to start mine. Huge fuel leak between the pressure regulator and the aluminum block. Make sure you use the oval shaped rubber grommet from the old engine that goes between the plastic fuel regulator and the aluminum block (previously used between the regulator and the fuel rail). I didn't have the adjustable regulator on my 1.9 and had to buy a new one. No where in the manual does it say that you need this grommet, and it didn't come with the new regulator.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:26 pm
Yep. That was it. Thanks. Car sounds great. Can't wait for the season to start. Although it will be a while here in the Midwest.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:51 pm
jp101 wrote:I had the same problem today as I was about to start mine. Huge fuel leak between the pressure regulator and the aluminum block. Make sure you use the oval shaped rubber grommet from the old engine that goes between the plastic fuel regulator and the aluminum block (previously used between the regulator and the fuel rail). I didn't have the adjustable regulator on my 1.9 and had to buy a new one. No where in the manual does it say that you need this grommet, and it didn't come with the new regulator.

I did not have the regulator before either. Did you get the new grommet from hardware store, or did you have to go back to SCCA
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:52 am
Ynot3007 wrote:Thanks everyone. Just found the problem. I didn't have the main connector on the ECU all the way in. I thought it was but as I was checking everything, it clicked just a bit when I pushed it.

Now the fuel pressure regulator is leaking at the aluminum block. I must have damaged the o-ring, even with the warning in the manual.

Almost there!

Great to hear that you found it and it's running. Sounds pretty snotty, doesn't it? Quite racy.

I had the same problem with my O2 sensor that runs to my dash A/F gauge -- didn't quite have the plug clicked all the way together. Drove me nuts for a while.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:54 pm
Tony:

Thanks for your post. I'm still at the stage of fighting through correct motor mount locations to get the engine in. With as much difficulty as I've had with that, I'm just SURE that your problems will be my hurdle once I finally get the engine in. At least now I have some problem definition to be prepared for and a lot of expert advice on troubleshooting!

Joel

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:58 am
jp101 wrote:I had the same problem today as I was about to start mine. Huge fuel leak between the pressure regulator and the aluminum block. Make sure you use the oval shaped rubber grommet from the old engine that goes between the plastic fuel regulator and the aluminum block (previously used between the regulator and the fuel rail). I didn't have the adjustable regulator on my 1.9 and had to buy a new one. No where in the manual does it say that you need this grommet, and it didn't come with the new regulator.

I discovered that my fuel regulator is leaking between the regulator and the base as well, just as described in this post. However, I don't know of this oval shaped rubber grommet from the GEN2 motor. Can someone provide a little more detail on what this is, where it can be found, and where it goes on the new regulator/base?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:23 pm
It may be the one shown in the image to the right in this photo:

http://www.comprentstore.net/productima ... nt_image=0
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:49 pm
Sent an e-mail to Mike Davies to inquire. He said there is a seal from the old (GEN2) fuel pressure regulator that needs to be used on the new regulator. There are two ports on the new one, one for fuel in (high pressure and with O ring) and one for fuel return (no pressure). The seal from the old regulator needs to be used to prevent the return fuel from seeping out. Attached is a picture of both the O ring and the old seal from the old regulator. Mike said to be cautious with the old seal because Ford doesn't make them anymore.
Attachments
FPR seals.jpg
FPR seals.jpg (26.6 KiB) Viewed 12535 times
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:37 am
Try searching for this part: Motorcraft CG590 Pressure Regulator Seal

About $18 on Amazon but may be able to order at your local auto parts store...
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:48 am
Got the seal out of the old regulator that was still on my GEN2 motor and installed it in the new regulator. That stopped the leak. Thanks Bob for the pointer on buying new ones on Amazon. Will probably buy one 'just in case'.
PreviousNext

Return to Spec Racer Gen3