Gen3 first startup problem

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:54 pm
I am finally trying to start up my gen3 conversion for the first time and it isn't working. It will run for a few seconds, but only if I hold the fuel button.

Also, the ecu loses connection to the pe3 software every time I hit the starter button.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Did I wire something wrong?

I have a new chassis harness and an AIM mxl2. The Aim unit also turns off and on whenever I turn over the starter.

Tony

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:11 am
Sounds like you need to use a jump battery (or charge your battery on an external charger). You are seeing the voltage drop below 9 volts if the AIM MXL2 is resetting. You could also have a bad battery cable, or corroded connection in either the ground path or voltage path to the starter.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:35 am
It's pretty normal to lose the ECU connection when starting the engine. Check the readings from the PE3 software before you start the engine to make sure that you have sufficient voltage and fuel pressure showing.

Check all the harness connectors to make sure they're well seated, especially the one going into the engine on the bottom as it can be difficult to get seated fully (we had to pull out the rubber gasket in the connect to get it to seat fully.)
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:28 pm
Also, make sure you are using the latest version of the ECU software from Enterprises (particularly if you have had the engine kit for a long time).

DaveP

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:03 pm
I replaced the ground cables and starter power cable with new and still have the same problem. When I turn on the ignition, I hear one of the relays click and I can see the ECU on PE3 and see TPS, air temp and oil temp, but nothing else shows a value. I don't hear the fuel pump run at all. I have good voltage on the battery. I fully charged it and even tried hooking up a jumper battery, but nothing works.

I set the fuel pressure to 45psi, so I know the fuel pump works, but it doesn't seem to run from the ECU without pushing the fuel pump button.

I checked all the sensor connectors, and I think they are on, but I am getting ECU fault codes for air temp sensor, coolant temp sensor and MAP out of range.

Next step is to try to update the firmware on the ECU, but that one scares me some. I found a post with instructions so that is what I will try next.

Thanks for all the help.

Tony

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:35 pm
Update: I tried updating the firmware, but that option is greyed out. Not sure what that means.

The only fault code I am now getting is MAP. The reading in PE3 is 101kpa or something close to that. There is no data going from the ECU to the Aim even when I hold the fuel button and get it to run for a few seconds.

I guess I will need to call for help on Monday. I was hoping to fire it up this weekend, but I guess I will do fiberglass work instead.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:27 pm
If you're not getting the fuel pump to run when you switch on the ignition on, but it runs when you push the fuel button, it's obviously electrical (assume you are getting code 15 for MAP out of range.) I had this happen when I accidentally pinched the MAP sensor cable between the throttle body and intake manifold, throwing several errors and causing 0 readings on multiple sensors. I would start with the MAP plug underneath the intake manifold to confirm that it's fully seated and that the cable is not damaged in any way.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:20 pm
Ynot3007 wrote:Update: I tried updating the firmware, but that option is greyed out. Not sure what that means.

If your ECU is password-protected, you won't be able to update the firmware. (I'm kind of surprised they haven't all been locked...)

You might double check your Gen3 dash wiring, too.

Dave
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:24 pm
I think only CSRs and Enterprises personnel can access the ECU for firmware updates. That said, I think even with one, and probably even two, earlier firmware versions your engine should start and run well.

I agree with Bob Breton and check that MAP Sensor wire carefully. I could be that the ECU needs that MAP signal's data stream to start the engine.

Definitely call Mike Davies. He can guide you through a troubleshooting sequence and get you going.

Good luck!

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:54 pm
Thanks everyone. Just found the problem. I didn't have the main connector on the ECU all the way in. I thought it was but as I was checking everything, it clicked just a bit when I pushed it.

Now the fuel pressure regulator is leaking at the aluminum block. I must have damaged the o-ring, even with the warning in the manual.

Almost there!
Next

Return to Spec Racer Gen3