Tire feadback?

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:06 pm
What did the front look like?
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:58 am
My first set of Hoosiers corded as well after I think 13 sessions... but on the *inside* of the rear tires.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:06 am
Thanks everyone for the info for us North guys who are looking out at 12 inches or more of snow wishing we were able to be at the track! Next best thing would be to get out in the garage start working on the cars and dream we are there! For some reason, it just doesn't have the same appeal.

Pat
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:19 pm
goolsbey wrote:Thanks everyone for the info for us North guys who are looking out at 12 inches or more of snow wishing we were able to be at the track! Next best thing would be to get out in the garage start working on the cars and dream we are there! For some reason, it just doesn't have the same appeal.

Pat

It might be nice to have an excuse to take a break, I don't think we've had more than 3 weekends in a row away from the track in over a year...
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Former Specracer National Champion

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
www.facebook.com/mbiracing
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:47 pm
Here was my tire strategy (or lack there of...) from last weekend in Fontana

Friday Practice: 6-7 cycle set from December testing...felt great
Friday Qual: same set, ran with TJ Acker who had stickers. I was 1st he was 2nd
Saturday Qual: sticker set, felt great, ended up 5th or 6th
Saturday Race: stole a 3 cycle set from my Dad, felt great, lowered the track record by over 3 seconds
Sunday Race: Rain tires 120+ MPH flat out on the oval section. Lap times were only about 5 seconds off a dry time. It was not raining for our race, but rained for hours up until the race.

My advice: start with the recommended settings and fine tune from there :D
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:56 pm
Dave, the front looked OK, but also was worn more on the outside. The RF finally corded after two more sessions at TH (not quite as worn but signs of cord showing.) The LR actually looked like it could get a few more sessions. Will definitely swap the tires side to side at least after 4 sessions when running at tracks with dominant wear on one side: This is what the LR looked like after the same number of sessions (more evenly worn but some life left):

ImageIMG_0522 by bobsrf51, on Flickr
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:08 pm
Thanks, Bob. Looks the same as ours...
Dave Harriman

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:53 pm
Mike, did you see much difference from Friday's practice tires vs Saturdays stickers for qualifying?

Thanks! Pat

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
www.facebook.com/mbiracing
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:06 pm
goolsbey wrote:Mike, did you see much difference from Friday's practice tires vs Saturdays stickers for qualifying?

Thanks! Pat

Ya I went slower! In all seriousness, once the tires heated up the sticker tire was just fine. It takes a good 2-3 laps until you can really push hard. I thought I had a little more grip, but the time sheet said otherwise. The draft is king though at Fontana so maybe that had something to do with it.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:55 pm
I would think you are running low camber settings due to tire wearing to the outside. We are getting wear to the inside,more so than out side due to camber settings. This is in lefts or right hand tracks. Does not matter. wear will be more to the loaded side. It has always been this way. Maybe there is something to this picture. Should we dare try that? :idea:
PreviousNext

Return to Spec Racer Gen3