So, about this "unswitched side of the master."

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:22 am
Is the "unswitched" the side where the hot lead is attached? Or is it the other side? I could go into my explanation for why I think it's the former not the latter, but it's more important that I get it right!

PS: Kudos to the Enterprises Gen3 team. It's a very well done kit. I'm at about Gen 2.4 right now.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:42 am
The "unswitched" side is where the positive cable from the battery is attached to the master switch (generally this would be the right (outer) side of the master switch as you face the rear of the car.)
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:35 pm
I don't want to confuse the situation, but pay attention to the word generally, Bob uses. It all depends on how the car is wired. We have two cars and one was wired one way and the other was wired opposite. I made the change so they were alike. You might say how can this happen? It could depend on how your kill switch is mounted for example. If the switch is mounted up side down you will have the opposite result. The key is to get the wiring correct on each side, as per the manual.

With our gen 3 car there are only two wires on the non switched side, being the positive alternator wire and the main wire from the positive side of the battery.

Pat
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:26 pm
Maybe I'm simple, but I don't see how it matters which way the switch is mounted. When the switch is open, it's open, and the two poles are unrelated. What makes the side (un)switched is whether the battery is connected to that side. That pole has juice 24/7 while the other pole is dead until the switch closes.

All I know is that I get it now, and will sleep easier knowing that I'm doing at least one thing right.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:48 pm
Greg you are right, It doesn't make any difference in that respect. The switch will work no matter how it is mounted. The difference in my case was that on our original car we were accustomed to having the switch go in one direction which was the opposite of the other car. I corrected that so that they would be the same. Both situations work.

The key is not if the wires are mounted on the right or left terminals, but that the proper wires are mounted on the switched and non switched terminals, and that will be determined by you. On most cars that I have seen, looking from the rear of the car, they are set up so the hot wire from the battery and the alternator is on the right side, but I have seen others just the opposite.

Sorry, about how I worded my response!

Pat

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:14 pm
One word of caution. The length of the wires on the new cable assemblies from Enterprises are very close (read just long enough). If you are using them and wire the hot side on the left of the master switch, some wires may not be long enough.

DaveP
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:17 pm
goolsbey wrote:On most cars that I have seen, looking from the rear of the car, they are set up so the hot wire from the battery and the alternator is on the right side, but I have seen others just the opposite.

Pat

I'm not sure why, but that's the way I set it up. It seemed right. I also installed a new chassis harness, and the specs are so tight that the wires are arrow straight from the cockpit fuse box all the way to the switched side of the master. I suppose I could move the master down an inch or two.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:12 am
Dave, good point. It's a very tight fit as it is. Greg, I didn't have the benefit of a new harness, but based on what I have seen with the ecu wiring, I am can understand how that can happen.

There are many close clearance issues, but it's amazing the number of things that Mike and the gang had to deal with in developing this great package. Can you imagine what problems we might have had without their expertise? I don't even want to think about it!

Pat

Return to Spec Racer Gen3