Random conversion questions.

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:58 am
goolsbey wrote:We did have idle problems, but the new software seems to take care of it except for one annoying situation. The car quits when you come in from a session. Could this be a IAC problem? If not has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks! Pat

Yes, my GEN3 generally idles well but often dies when I come in from a session.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:36 pm
goolsbey wrote:Bob's Message:
"I had the same problem with no idle after start-up. Again, during a phone session with Mike Davies, we discovered that the IAC was not responding to input from the PE Monitor's IAC idle speed control slider. A quick trip to the local Advance Auto Parts and a new IAC was installed"

Bob, do you have a part # from Advance Auto? I want to toss one into my spare parts box. Any other parts #'s for spare items I should have is greatly appreciated, as I do mostly regional races with no CSR support. It would also be nice to be able to go to local parts store or Ford dealership in a pinch, if one fails.

As far as parts look up goes, what model of car does this engine come out of, for such things as sending unit sensors, relays etc? For some reason I believe the engines come outside of USA.

We did have idle problems, but the new software seems to take care of it except for one annoying situation. The car quits when you come in from a session. Could this be a IAC problem? If not has anyone else had this problem?

The Advance Auto Part number is 28940. The aftermarket brand is BWD. Price is $51.

Not sure of which Ford model it is from. As I recall, our 4,000-plus 1.9 engines were assembled in the U.S. from a variety of Ford parts, so specifying a model may not cut it. I believe the 1.9 head, which is a custom piece for SRF, was cast in Mexico.

As for the idle problems, post session, it could be that your IAC Offset was set to about 190 degrees peak temperature and you may need to hook up the PE Monitor software and reset offset at a higher temp, like 200 degrees or a bit above (Mike Davies says 208 degrees would be the limit). Your CSR can provide instructions for that, which are pretty easy to follow.

For sure, from now on we're all going to need to be sure we have our laptops armed with PE Monitor software packed for every race weekend.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:25 pm
Bob Devol wrote:For sure, from now on we're all going to need to be sure we have our laptops armed with PE Monitor software packed for every race weekend.

I am a little put off by the dire warning screen that pops up when you use the PE Monitor software. I have no doubt that I could do a lot of damage with that program if given enough opportunity.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:46 pm
peterjank wrote:
goolsbey wrote:We did have idle problems, but the new software seems to take care of it except for one annoying situation. The car quits when you come in from a session. Could this be a IAC problem? If not has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks! Pat

Yes, my GEN3 generally idles well but often dies when I come in from a session.

+1 on this one. I've also had a similar issue when pulling up to the grid... While the car idles fine on its' own, once you hit the throttle to drive it anywhere, it seems to not be happy settling back into an idle state, especially when hot.
Dan

Formerly Teamwork Motorsports #99, Chassis #460
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:54 pm
GregCirillo wrote:
Bob Devol wrote:For sure, from now on we're all going to need to be sure we have our laptops armed with PE Monitor software packed for every race weekend.

I am a little put off by the dire warning screen that pops up when you use the PE Monitor software. I have no doubt that I could do a lot of damage with that program if given enough opportunity.

It doesn't seem overly intimidating to me. That said, we would all probably find a tutorial to be useful.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:57 pm
srf99 wrote: +1 on this one. I've also had a similar issue when pulling up to the grid... While the car idles fine on its' own, once you hit the throttle to drive it anywhere, it seems to not be happy settling back into an idle state, especially when hot.

I have a brand new IAC in my GEN3 with the idle offset 2.5 saved at 201 degrees. I'll see how well that manages the idle at the Pocono Divisional this weekend and report back to you guys.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:48 am
Bob thanks! Would appreciate that.

Pat
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:14 am
I ran Pocono with throttle offset at 2.5 at 201 degrees, new IAC, and had no problems idling at 1,050 RPM after any of my runs. Came into the paddock at about 185 degrees coolant temp, 80 degrees F ambient.

So, there ya go...
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:44 pm
Oddly enough, this past weekend I ran at Hastings, NE (elevation 1950 ft) vs. my usual at 5000 feet and above. Idle worked fine all weekend, although the same can't be said for the gearbox. Must be an altitude thing... :?
Dan

Formerly Teamwork Motorsports #99, Chassis #460
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:45 pm
srf99 wrote:Oddly enough, this past weekend I ran at Hastings, NE (elevation 1950 ft) vs. my usual at 5000 feet and above. Idle worked fine all weekend, although the same can't be said for the gearbox. Must be an altitude thing... :?

Blown gearbox, Dan?
PreviousNext

Return to Spec Racer Gen3