Installing the Lower Alternator Bolt

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:07 pm
Pat,

Did you install the engine (drop it in) with the tranny already attached?

Davep

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:38 pm
Dave, we used the same procedure as the 1.9. What we did was to make sure the trany and the engine would easily mate while out of the car before we tried to install it. Good thing we did that, because we has some problems with the plate fit. Minor modification and it worked.

It would sure be nice if the left upper control apparatus could be modified as some kind of a bolt on rather than welded, which could be removed, so the trany could be removed or installed by itself.
Something for Mike to dream up when has some spare time! Easier said than done.

Pat

Bob as always thanks for the information on the ecu.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:37 pm
Pat - Great minds think alike, however see Eriks post to me Sep. 07, 2012. Short answer paraphrased "we have a lot to do putting together the Gen3 and although we would like to make it possible to be able to remove the transmission separately, don't hold your breath"! Maybe some time in the future :?:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=426&start=20

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:30 pm
Pat,

Dang! I was just hoping you had figured out a way to screw it into the engine compartment with the tranny installed on the motor. It would sure make removal/installations easier. As noted, it sure would be great to be able to remove the tranny without removing the engine.

DaveP

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:50 pm
I am not an engineer by any means, but I think there must be a way to make that happen. If Mike can make a 1.6l fit, with as few changes as we have, he can come up with a way to safely change the left upper control arm assembly. Man would that be nice!

Bill, maybe I will ask Scott to come up with a design. He went from design-work on Acura suspensions to working on scopes for medical devices. Engineers suppose to be flexible aren't they?
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:16 pm
IIRC Fenske modified a frame to allow the engine and trans to drop in as a unit.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:58 pm
Sounds like something Steve would have done...

DaveP

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:39 am
You can remove/install the engine and tranny as one piece with the 1.9; did it all the time. A few extra parts need to be removed - Harmonic balencer and ignition module I think were the only extra items. You need a balance beam to tilt the engine/trans but I always found it easier to take out as a unit.

With the fragile intake and harmonic baallancer issue on the 1.6 Iam thinking this one pice removal can not be done on the 1.6????

Why don't we have spell check on this site

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:43 pm
It was surprisingly easier to install the 1.9. The 1.6 is just a tight fit (even with a balance bar which I always use) and it was hard to line up the tranny with the new clutch assembly. I am just hoping there will be far fewer reasons to take this engine out (and reinstall it).

BTW, I love the new clutch in action on the track, so no complaints there! :D

DaveP

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:16 pm
Something you might want to consider. When I installed the alternator belt I found that the power terminal on the alternator was rubbing against the intake manifold. The belt was tight and I couldn't adjust it outward enough to fix the problem. I didn't want to file the terminal so I talked to Mike and he gave me a part number that would add about 1/2 inch to the belt. It worked great. You might not need this fix as the cause of the problem could be the provided conversion belt not seated properly in the grooves. Check this first before you purchase a longer belt. New Part number is Dayco 5040445. I got it from Advance Auto, but call them before you go as some of the locations didn't have it in stock. I think several parts stores sell these belts.

Pat
Previous

Return to Spec Racer Gen3