Gen3 Springs

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:33 am
Will there be a spring change with the Gen3 in the future as was done when the 1.9 was implemented for the weight change? Thx Joel

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:16 pm
No spring change has been mentioned that I know of. If there was it probably wouldn't happen until a few years down the road. Erik and company are very sensitive to additional costs with the launch of the Gen3.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:01 pm
This is one of those things that if you have a real concern, you should contact SCCA Enterprises.
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Former Specracer National Champion
Former Specracer National Champion
Chassis:
247-1
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:14 pm
I just happened to see this before it stirs the rumor mill, SCCA Enterprises is very sensitive to the cost of the GEN3 kit, 100% true. We also want all the performance possible for a reasonable upgrade cost.

Look at where the Renault started in terms of corner performance and where the G2 1.9 is presently. They are not even in the same zip code. .95 / 1.05 G to 1.3 / 1.4 G on average flat asphalt.

A couple of the R&D teams have done informal spring tests…A spring rate change is a very cost effective way to create better balance. The largest unknown today is what tire we will use long term. 205 size on all 4 wheels or 185 / 205 sizing like in the past. In round numbers G2 car is 103 HP and G3 is 123 @ the wheels. It’s easy to see why the balance of the car is so different.

We are open for the R&D teams to test, if they choose to experiment with rates. Change only one end or the other….(1 set of springs)

We will know more in the fall….stay tuned.
Mike Davies
SCCA Enterprises
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:34 am
We did make a major spring change on the Enduro Gen3, but given we were also working on a car with a front splitter and wing, plus "proper" sized radial tires, it would be too early to make a call on whether that's the right direction (especially until we also have the weight and tires finalized.)

We did follow a similar strategy to the Ford conversion, in this case moving the rear springs to the front and adding in some heftier rear springs that I believe had less differential than the current setup. In that setup, the car was very "reactive" (probably too much for some) but also much easier to get back into shape when needed. With a car that had significant front downforce we weren't sure if going stiffer on the back was the right direction, but IMHO, it significantly increased the drivability, especially given the additional speed we carried into corners that generally were flat out in the G2 (e.g. T8 at Thunderhill.)

The spring we added was shorter than the present spring, which allowed us to lower the car further than possible with the current setup without bottoming (again, we were not running current specs so ride height was not an issue.) Frankly, the main issue with the current car is insufficient shock travel (especially if you are conservative with the bump stops). At tracks out here where we are consistently pushing G's in excess of 1.6-1.8 (like the bottom of the corkscrew and T9/T10 at Laguna) so stiffening the overall spring rate helped to reduce that issue.

This is not an expensive change; somewhere in the range of $130-140 for a pair of springs.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:07 am
Dave/Bob great info for all I am sure. thanks Joel

Return to Spec Racer Gen3